AuthorTopic: Board activity  (Read 12994 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Board activity

Reply #20 on: November 22, 2009, 12:38:15 pm
If that's the case, that's great, hope it keeps up.

Even if the decreased activity, by extension, results in less quality artwork being posted?

Pixelation isn't a showcase board, it's for learning. I'd much rather we have 1000 15 year old newbies committed to helping each other than 100 achieved artists showing off and getting asspats.

edit: tocky, it was because Pixelation assumed its previous name (from Pixelopolis) and was reskinned.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 12:41:46 pm by Helm »

Offline junkboy

• jnkboy
    • jnkboy
    • View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 22, 2009, 01:09:59 pm
Pixelation isn't a showcase board, it's for learning. I'd much rather we have 1000 15 year old newbies committed to helping each other than 100 achieved artists showing off and getting asspats.

Fair enough, it's your forum. I don't necessarily think those two forum "cultures" are mutually exclusive though.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 02:25:12 pm
I don't think they are either, but if we're talking about how to get attendance up, we mean for people to do more critique and help each other, not for people to marvel at somebody skilled's showcase. There's pixeljoint for that.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 03:26:58 pm
I agree with Helm. I still pixel a bit every now and then, but processing critique usually takes me a while, so I wouldn't be able to put advice to good use now and the thread would effectively become a showcase thread. There would be more stuff posted, but I don't think it would encourage anyone to give or ask for critique, which would be very anti-Pixelation.

That being said, I think it might be easy to get too focused on the critique part of Pixelation. If you don't have time to give or process critique, maybe there are some other ways you can get some learning/discussion started. Maybe there's a technique you're unsure about or a neat tool you'd like to teach others to use. There should be plenty of other ways to spark some activity even if you're busy. I think the donation drive shows that there's definitely some interest there, it's just a matter of finding an outlet for it that can be wedged into people's schedules.

I'm hoping I'll get to post more interesting stuff closer to Christmas. ;D

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 06:39:00 pm
yes the 'any questions?' thread was an attempt to channel other ways of proactive discussion... I'm not sure what else to do. I'll make a CC soon...

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 03:35:58 am
I'll make a CC soon...

*Pees a little*. Looking forward to it! I had a bit of a CC of a few SNES RPGs in an IM with Corinthian Baby, and it was quite invigorating! Took me back a lot to the CCs on the old blue Pixelation, not to mention I learned a thing or two.

I think the point about multiple communities for pixel art since the early Pixelation is a good one. The community has spread out. I said it in the blog thread as well, but I don't really have a perception of this forum being slow or dead. It seems to be moving along steadily (at least in terms of the critique-grinder section). For me, I spend a lot of time looking at threads in the Pixel Art section, and I very rarely end up looking at threads in other sections. I actually find the board TOO active for my time!

I've been working on a game lately, so that's where most of my creative focus has been. That, and a lot of the art stuff I do now is in other mediums. I'm just spreading out with what I do, but I still love pixel art. To me, this community offers something special. A kind of balance of openness, friendliness, but also expertise. It's cosy and stimulating. When I go to other art communities, they are huge and bizzare to me, like a country boy entering a big city (okay, now I'm just getting cheesy  :lol: ).

Okay, I started rambling, but my point is Pixelation has its niche, and I think it will draw longevity from that.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 06:32:01 pm
I think the ones who "trained here" finally got their skills polished that it landed them some jobs. :P

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 08:38:16 pm
Well yes, learning on Pixelation did land me Jobs and now I am freelancing pixelart. That does not mean I can keep sharing the wisdom (as you might have noticed I am trying to give more crits with edits as of late and not just pull the levers in the background)
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 24, 2009, 09:41:26 pm
that is true, but for some people it's just hard to manage time. Real life/family+job+stress = less time to do other things. It's understandable.

One thing for sure, They will be back. I always think this place as my "home" as others do :)

Offline TheOne

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 29, 2009, 02:44:02 am
Bit confused by "Sprite Sheet: In Progress" having 141000 views. Is this an error?