AuthorTopic: Mysterious stranger doing heroic things.  (Read 2916 times)

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Mysterious stranger doing heroic things.

on: November 13, 2009, 05:09:06 pm
I've been working on this since this morning and for a decent part of yesterday.  I finally got a scanner and have been practicing drawing humans.  I finally decided to make a new pixel piece after a hiatus (where I've begun to do terrible but have gotten myself back on my feet).

I've decided to draw classic NES Link and attempt an action pose.

2x version for those with Firefox 3.
Original pencil drawing, the pixel version is flipped horizontally because Link is left handed and I didn't want to tick off purists.

I've gotten critique from a friend already and have worked on fixing a lot of mess ups, but C&C is still appreciated for the sake of improving myself.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Mysterious stranger doing heroic things.

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 10:03:27 pm
Looking pretty cool. First thing I notice is he looks like he could fall over. His footing feels entirely wrong for a sword swing. Try standing up and doing that motion with that footing, and then try switching the position of your feet. Much more stability and strength with the other leg forward.

Up the contrast.

Piece lacks any kind of real shading.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 10:20:27 pm
It's not meant to be a horizontal swing, but since you're right that his other leg would need to be forward even if he's stabbing, I'll just re-draw it to where he's more running with it instead of an attack.

Offline Maru

• THIS HOUSE IS CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Werepop

Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 10:28:55 pm

I made an edit and hope this helps you..
I feel the creases should be emphasized but used sparingly to match the simple style, and the shield arm moved into a lower, more natural position~ especially since a shield is so heavy.

I think you could benefit from an extra mid tone colour too...I feel the mid-tone lime green is too bright and the other colours are too far apart in shades for you to shade with them to their full extent. Though I'm not so good with colours myself, so maybe someone with more knowledge can help you out there :x

Anyway, I hope the edit helps~  :)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 03:09:46 pm by Maru »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 07:55:58 pm
I'll try to get a new version, but it may take me awhile since I'm going back to working on paper since it involves problems with the pose.