AuthorTopic: [WIP] Minotaur  (Read 3130 times)

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

[WIP] Minotaur

on: November 13, 2009, 03:03:24 am

current -

Still working on this, everything is still pretty blocky, sticking to 8 colors and this canvas size. I wanted to do something with greek mythology so I wound up with this old popular fellow.

I'm still playing with the colors, I've gone from reds to browns to greens to greys and back to reds again, they'll probably stay this way now that I've started the BG, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm also not too sure if I'll stick with the bottom segment of the BG. Either way, hoping the BG isn't so cluttered that the figure gets entirely lost.

Supposed to be walking towards the viewer, not sure if its entirely reading this way, chest area is still pretty messy (well the whole thing), i'll update this with more as I get it done.

edit: moved around some colors, started some detailwork on it, and I think I'm done for the night now.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 09:40:15 am by setz »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] Minotaur

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 02:38:24 pm
Yeah I say get a bit more implicit with the background. Use darkness to push the mood and balance the composition's negative space.

I'm quite liking the palette, but the cool highlights don't make much sense in terms of the environment.

Figure looking very flat, too much of the shading is obsessing over the texture and lines of the figure, and not on the form. I'd also push the second darkest tone a bit closer to the darkest to allow for more shadow.

Liking the demonic twist that you've got going, though.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 06:03:57 am
Thanks, I tried to make the background darker (Maybe not dark enough? Still only working the one side) Still working on that. I haven't had much time to work on this the past day or two, making the move to Ubuntu 9.10 (upgrading issues are awful).

Still mostly working on the right side of the image, moved some things around, darkened a few colors (not by much). tried to focus more on the form in some areas, this is still pretty heavily WIP, but I thought I should at least update the thread. I'll agree the blues don't make much sense, but I think the color variation is helping more than its hurting, I've been changing around the palette most of the time I've worked this in the earlier stages, so it might make another major change.

I'll update again when I get more done.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 07:19:31 am
This reminds me of Doom for some reason.

The pose looks very flat, more like a pose for posing sake rather then walking forward.

I tried my hand at it, but it looks a bit more like running instead of walking. This is unreferenced, finding some reference may help.

Offline setz

• View Profile
    • splixel

Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 09:48:55 am
(updated first post with images: should I just post them in the later thread posts as well?)
Well doom was very hellish, and this is a lava-dripping minotaur, so I can see the resemblance. Updated again, after seeing that edit (thanks!) I realized how wrong some of the things were, and realized I was probably using too many colors everywhere, so I've tried to remedy that as well. Hopefully its looking better now, front hand/forearm is still very rough and will likely get changed. I'll probably push the back arm closer to his body as well, I'm not sure if I should go with that, I want wide presence for him- to give the person the idea that they can't possibly escape this gigantic beast slowly walking towards them.

Again thanks for the help, I'll do some more on this when I find the time.