AuthorTopic: Got some questions?  (Read 20115 times)

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Got some questions?

on: March 10, 2006, 08:05:38 am
Hi there people!

Does anyone of you guys remember EVOGA? it was a MEXICAN based company that created some very fine titles for SNK; Rage of the dragons for example a very cool kof-looking game. Well.. how tiny is the world, i recently meet one of the guys who created character designs, sprites and some animations for this game, its mexican (like me) and I asked him if i could interview him for this site, he said yes, so im making this open for all of you guys, what do you want to know from a spriter who works at snk?, ask whatever you want and hopefully he will answer back on this thread. :)

ROTD EVOGA graphic team
Character designers : Super Dotter K', Mr. Vo, Mamero, Dessy, Nankin, Bel Mont, Hikaru Suf, Shio Shio, Rinkenedu, Edu, Shuhey Kawasaki, Jaga Danshaku

He's MR.VO from that list.

My first question was (and i think some people here remember a commercial critique where we asked ourselves this) ¿do they use independent pixel art software created by snk? He said yes and he said that it runs on macs! how nice!

Anyways, ill leave you with a couple of screenshots to show you guys what im talking about!

Cheers and make all your questions!

Offline Chris

• View Profile

Re: Got some questions?

Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 04:49:11 pm
I have a question:

Would you marry me Ndeal ?

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 06:15:39 pm
I wonder if their software had any special features that we haven't seen, and missed any features they wanted back then?
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 06:51:58 pm
I have a question:

Would you marry me Ndeal ?

YES XD

Anyways, ask as much as you guys can, I belive he will start answering questions shortly, well thats what he said :)

Offline Evan

• Marv-O
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 02:25:43 am
You should take all the energy you devote to your art, and redirect it into learning how to ride a unicycle, and I guarantee that you will be the best unicyclist in the world.

Offline PyroPiranha

• "Leading Ninja Authority" - Ninja #2350228
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 11, 2006, 03:12:41 am
A pro's taking the time to respond, lets keep the integrity of the thread a bit more serious please :p

Anyways, three questions.

Do you use any other medium of art?  Which do you prefer and why?

What got you started/interested in pixel art?

Where do you see the industry going?

Offline MR.VO

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: March 11, 2006, 05:51:38 pm
Greetings to all, sorry for taking some time to answer, but work is work and happens that sometime I forget which day I live.

Quote from: Miguel
link=topic=942.msg11134#msg11134 date=1141977938

My first question was (and i think some people here remember a commercial critique where we asked ourselves this) ¿do they use independent pixel art software created by snk? He said yes and he said that it runs on macs! how nice!

As I told Miguel before, SNK made his own tools for development for pixel art level or dot work as they call it, they distribute this program to their thirth parties like Noise Factory and they keep it very restricted to outsiders, each designer had to put a password in order to used it and even to install it you had to insert a password, the program itself had many features that recently pixel software has, but I guess 8 years or more ago it was one of the best, generally it had the work area, color palette, tools for drawing and a feature to check the progress and fluid of animation, many of the features are now on open software, now I know, but by the time I started the RodT project I did knew few of pixel art, also the program runs on Mac, no t so new since they used an old Power mac 6400 (maybe), but as well on PC since I saw somebody of KOF staff running the program on it.

A pro's taking the time to respond, lets keep the integrity of the thread a bit more serious please :p

Anyways, three questions.

Do you use any other medium of art? Which do you prefer and why?

What got you started/interested in pixel art?

Where do you see the industry going?

Hi Pyro
Q1- I like to use traditional medium, but now I´m moving to full digital lamost since many time work requires it, I like digital because you can allow some mistakes and can always be redone without starting over, the negative side in my opinion is that digital art becomes quite afimeral since you don´t have an original, sure, maybe you have the file in layers and so, but it can compare to a real original piece of artwork, anyway I keep using both of them and I doubt to drop them sometime..

Q2- I got myself involved on pixel art when I started to work with EVOGA, I´m  a graphic designer and a hard fan of fighting games, but I knew few about pixel work, my first contact was with the game EVOLUTION SOCCER, a soccer game with created first, after that I moved to direct the RAGE OF THE DRAGONS game for neo geo, there I got real involved since the work demanded, from that point I got involved and now I´m always looking to improve myself, not only on pixel art, but as well on other areas that help me on my actual works like 2d and 3d, sometime I will have the insane speed to create pixel art as the Noise factory or the KOF staff had, man, the mouse almost was on fire because of the fiction of the spped over the mouse pad  ;D

Q3- pixel art for arcade games is almost a goner, few left on this and almost all the industry is moving to consoles, the pixel art will be an important for the game industry devoted to cell phones, since the tech has made possible to had better games on them, but with tehc nowdays changing avaery day I´m not sure how long the pixel art will be need it, I hope for long.  ;)

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 11, 2006, 06:31:05 pm
Could you tell us more about the process of pixel work? They draw them first and then they scan it or something?

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #8 on: March 11, 2006, 07:26:42 pm
what is the best way to get the attention of more established development companies in hiring perspective artists?

I've been able to get work with some lesser known companies, but it would be nice to get into the inner circle of some of the bigger names like SNK.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #9 on: March 11, 2006, 09:57:22 pm
now this is exactly the kind of thread that we shoul have a "best of Pxpolis" for, Ndeal you truly are in the know. asspatting aside....stop changing SNs you madafucka! ;p

MR.VO...I'm yet another to ask about SNK

Does their software contain any form of darken/lighten mode painting?(such as screen/multiply in photoshop) I always theorized they must've used something that integrated the concept of alpha blending into indexed pictures.

any chance of leaking a few screengrabs of said app?

what level of supervision was there from SNK?

Do they run you trough any training process before they let you work on the game?

did they pay well? lol....

what role do you usually take on when pixeling ?

do you find any aspect of pixelart valuable outside of it's direct low-rez low-color practicality?  in other words, are there any thechniques you learnt from pixelart you'd find valuable in other areas?

take your time to answer em...if you feel like it, I dont expect em to be answered all at once.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2006, 02:00:49 pm by Camus »