AuthorTopic: Got some questions?  (Read 20117 times)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Re: Got some questions?

Reply #10 on: March 12, 2006, 04:34:15 am
A question: Why are you so awesome?

When you started pixelling, about how well developed were your art skills in general, and do you think that by pixelling you have also improved your traditional art skills?

Offline MR.VO

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: March 14, 2006, 05:37:38 am
hello again, I had some time so here we go

Could you tell us more about the process of pixel work? They draw them first and then they scan it or something?

Mostly they work directly on the pixel, start with a body base and from there the full character and his movements, of course these guys are the ones that have years on this, others prefer to draw first, scan and work on it, I work with this method, other staff also use this method, like the creator of ANGEL of KOF, all her momvements where made fisrts on paper and after made on pixel, the character is made with solid colors, after that you must work the darker and lighter areas thinking on the iluminations, after that you must go for the middle tones, when making the animation first you work with the charaters on middle work, after the animation is accepted finally you can finish them

what is the best way to get the attention of more established development companies in hiring perspective artists?

I've been able to get work with some lesser known companies, but it would be nice to get into the inner circle of some of the bigger names like SNK.

First than all, you MUST publish your work, on these days of internet is easier than ever to let other people see you work, send mails, made work fo charaters of companies you are interest, other harder but sometimes easier is to know the correct people  ;D, for a companie like SNK-playmore honestly I think is harder, they constantly are recruiting staff, but not so much for dot work, last time I saw them recruiting was for snk vs capcom for neo geo, besides you should talk full japanese, in my case since I was part of EVOGA staff we had a translator for Jap.

thank you for your time to ask, hopefully I will try to answer the rest of the questions on the next days, please be patient

best regards

MR.VO

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #12 on: March 14, 2006, 02:03:44 pm
thank you SO MUCH for your time and confidence to do this MR.VO, this is completly incredible.

I'm glad to hear they block in the basic colors first cause that's exactly how I do it  ;D ( Angel's animation always was one of my favorites) I wish I could see those basic drafts of midtone-less sprites.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 04:16:32 pm
I'm doubleposting, yeah. But I am just too terrified by the idea that Mr.VO might not post any more answers just because when he comes he cant find the topic, so to sum up...

BUMP!!! :P ::)

Offline MR.VO

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 03, 2006, 07:40:29 pm
Hello again, sorry for taking so long this time, but I been short of time these weeks, thanx Camus for keeping alive the topic, I tried to post since last week, but for some unknow reason the forum reject my post, dunno why, anyway

Camus 
MR.VO...I'm yet another to ask about SNK

any chance of leaking a few screengrabs of said app?

sorry, I don,t have any screenshots of the program, by that time I never tought on taking a shot, besides it was very restricted and I don´t have a copy of it

what level of supervision was there from SNK?

The level by that time was a little lower tahn usual as far as I know, after the end of SNK many of the best staff decided to leave, not only on dot design, but as well on programming, by the time I was there, there was new bosses on each area, so the had some troubles on the organbization, but manage to keep the quality

Do they run you trough any training process before they let you work on the game??

I only had a very basic training, actually I had to move on dot design for several reasons, most important to understand better the process and work, we had a bad experiencie before with our first game, on evoulution soccer we only put the ideas for the game, but did not took in count the amount of work and budget , since it was our first game we were quite rookies, after that and since I was director of the project I decided to make dot design so express better my ideas, see the amout of work and somehow, a liitle recreation since it was fun to make dots. For dot in the game I was supervised by chief designer and after it was approved or rejected.

did they pay well? lol....]

Since I was working for EVOGA I recived my salary from them, so I don't have a good reference of how much but on some chats I had with them they talk about 1700 us a month, plus extra benefits for starters

what role do you usually take on when pixeling ?

sorry, I did not catch the question  ??? like how do I behave when making pixel art? well, I try to be quite calm and listen music because I focus best.

do you find any aspect of pixelart valuable outside of it's direct low-rez low-color practicality?  in other words, are there any thechniques you learnt from pixelart you'd find valuable in other areas?

recently I made a kind of simulated 80 fighting game for a short film that was shown on national TV during the last olympics, besides I use the pixel art sometimes for advertising so it has help me to know how to create dot graphics because, even if they are not low rez or low color, I know how to built them for use on other areas

Well, hope my answers help somehow and if you have more, feel fre to make them, I will try not to take too long to answers them

See ya

Best regards
Mr.Vo

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 03, 2006, 10:33:32 pm
do you work with pixelart - game graphics as a full time job or do you have to find other work as well? In other words, does getting into this career provide a good enough salary that you can live off of comfortably, or do you have another job that you do too?

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #16 on: April 09, 2006, 06:59:31 pm
Do you have a website where we can look at examples of your work? Oh, and thanks for taking the time to answer all these questions.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #17 on: April 09, 2006, 09:43:09 pm
awesome, thank you so much for answering my questions.

you skipped the one that mattered the most to me....I understand if you dont want to answer it right now, I just want to make sure you didnt miss it.

perhaps it was a bit complicated, I guess I'll repeat it and expand on it in spanish

el programa de SNK, ¿tiene herramientas con alpha blending parecidas al multiply/screen de photoshop? (si utilizas screen en photoshop, se aclara todo sobre lo que pintes,  y se oscurece si usas multiply) yo siempre habia pensado que SNK tendria una herramienta parecida ajustada para que sirviera en imagenes con paleta, como un sprite por ejemplo.

que pena insistir tanto, pero esto de verdad me interesa mucho.

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: April 14, 2006, 06:27:54 pm
Camus, la respuesta es si, y por lo que me platico MR.VO, el dijo que als herramientas que tenian eran bastante avanzadas y que corrian en macs. Tambien tenian onion skin para la animacion, pero que realmente la grandeza de los pixeles venia de los editores, realmente los pixeleros de snk eran probablemente los mejores pixelers que MR.VO jamas habia visto, el mismo menciona que el mousepad terminaba en fuego. XD

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 07:48:37 pm
OH YES OH YES. I knew it! the answer is YES.

lo sospeche desde un principio!

ja, gracias por todo esto Ndeal...todavia me siento mas en confianza diciendote asi.... nunca hubiera confirmado eso si no fuera por ti. GRACIAS GRACIAS GRACIAS, por hacer todo el esfuerzo de traer a Mr.VO hasta aca, y de hablarte con el de lo que pregunte y hacer un post solo para responderme.

YOU RUUUULE!

There are certain flame effects by snk that just scream out indexed alpha blending, it shows they do it with great skill, but I just cant imagine someone doing that kind of effect by just laying out each separate pallete entry by hand.

<- look at that! there had to be alpha blending.

it's really really funny, how SNK being the one who had complete dominion over indexed alpha blending wasnt the first one to use it in the character sprites. Capcom was more inventive and beat them to the punch in SF3. I wonder what it would look like if SNK attempted that.

I just cant belive I'm the only one who seems to have real technique questions about this c.c
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 07:59:07 pm by Camus »