AuthorTopic: [WIP] Lil' portrait.  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

[WIP] Lil' portrait.

on: November 07, 2009, 10:33:23 pm
I almost never get anywhere with making a pixel portrait, but today I finally gritted my teeth and stuck with it. Surprisingly, it didn't turn out too bad.

And here's the ref. Is the likeness there? I don't want to start really refining it until I know she looks right, and I figured some impartial eyes would help with spotting the inconsistencies.

Offline WayneMatthers

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Lil' portrait.

Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 02:33:29 am
I'm not the best person to be critiquing but imho it looks spot on for the most part. Her hair looks more red in the picture but im assuming thats an effect or the lighting because the whole room seems red.

One thing i noticed though was her hair in the picture looks like it loops back right above the ear, and doesnt cover the ear at all. Maybe work on that.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 03:15:16 am
I've been staring at portraits all day today.  What you've got is very good.

The only (minor) differences that I see:

I think the bottom of the chin might be one pixel too low. 

I think the jawline is not flat enough.  In the photo it drops down from the ear before curving to the chin, you've got it running directly from chin to ear.

I think the part in the hair should be one pixel further to the right.  In the photo you can draw a line from the bridge of the nose straight up vertically and hit the part in the hair.  In the portrait the line is one pixel off.

The highlight on the bridge of the nose in the photo is not quite as round as the pixels, and the nose partially obscures the far eye.  The pixels have a dark border between nose and far eye which ends up looking like the part of the eye.

In the photo the nearest eyebrow curves a bit further towards the nose.  Maybe one pixel more with a lighter shade.  Compare the near eyebrow and far eyebrow in the pixels and  you see that one curves while the other is flat.

But really, these are just nitpicks.  What you've got is very good.

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 06:40:22 am
Alright, thanks a ton guys. She looks much better now.  :)

I messed around with her hair, colors, jawline, and neck mostly. Good call on the ear as well, WayneMatthers.
Anything else up with her? I'm pretty satisfied with what I have right now, but you never know!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 01:26:49 pm
That is a difficult likeness at this size. Especially the lips. The way you've done them they're thin and crone-ish, but she's so pretty and kind looking... I attempted an edit, I am not sure if I'm any closer, but perhaps there's something to be studied in the more colors version.

Personally I'd attempt this at 30-50% bigger size so there's space for everything.

Offline WayneMatthers

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 04:25:27 pm
That looks a lot better, pretty perfect in  my opinion.

One nitpick i see is her mouth looks a tad odd, t just looks a little big for a female but maybe its because she has such a large smile. Good job Kcilc.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:41 pm
Well, I accidentally looked completely over her lips, so you could say she had none. ::)

I was fiddling with her mouth when bam! I caught one of the smiles she likes to wear. It's not really what's in the picture, but it is how she usually smiles. Does it fit?
And about the size issue, I'm a canvas agoraphobe, so it's not really surprising I went smaller than necessary. I might make a bigger one if I can gather enough willpower since I really need to work on getting faces right, but penciling might be better for that. Thanks for the edit, critique, and kind words, people.