AuthorTopic: back to basics  (Read 4038 times)

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

back to basics

on: November 03, 2009, 12:52:01 am
In my never ending struggle to better understand the concept of shading, I have chosen the basic of all basic mediums.

behold! my attempt at rubber duckyness.

<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Re: back to basics

Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:45:04 am
I thought I'd do an edit:

First, the duck looked kinda fat. And since he's rubber, you may want to add bright highlights.  I thought the wings looked weird, so I took them out. Some rubber ducks have wings, some don't so it's really your choice. I hope my edit helps.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:51:51 am
Honestly it pretty much still reads as flat. Have you read any material on shading? You should take some time to get a book on drawing/shading basics. I think it will help you a great deal.

You need to break your volume into clear areas of light and shadow. Given this, you need to have a palette that lets you do that. More contrast in your palette with more obvious highlights and shadow. Decide where the light source is in 3D space in relation to the duck and shade according to that. Hell I say go even simpler and work with basic primitives like cubes, spheres, cones and such. You've got to have a grasp of how light hits 3D objects and where it creates areas of light and shadow if you want to shade something believably.

Offline Tourist

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:46:43 am
From http://www.learn-to-draw.com/drawing-basics/  (believe it or not)

Hope this helps,
Tourist

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 07:09:19 am
*hijack* Thanks for that wonderful link... I love it :D *hijack*

Hrm... reads a bit flat, which has already been mentioned, but also the shape seems to be off by a bit. And the wing doesn't really match the rubber ducky :(

EDIT*

Giant rubber ducky attacks!

Here's a ref for shape and just sheer awesomeness

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 07:12:33 am by Pixelized »

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:29:45 am
okay, I think I have applied some of the advice given to me... wanted to try the ducky one more time before stepping back to the basic cone/cylinder/sphere/block shapes suggested.

I'm sure there are a few that will frown apon my dithering. I will try to correct that.
old:new:

Offline PASSOUT

• The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:25:29 am
Okay, um I'm not good at this but I'll try to explain what I think the best I can.

Well Over all I respect a person that goes back to learn something right Instead of going on to learn that you still had never over come the problem (and it haunts your works). It's good to address it now before you consistently keep doing in in the future. Well to tackle my first qualm I'd have to say that the dithering is no good. Though dithering can look out standing and add extra colors, it has to be done correctly with the help of adjacent colors and contrasts. Here you have not accomplished that. It's better to under stand I think in your stage of learning that shapes is everything. The correct shape or as I've seen before "pixel clusters" directly translates into a convincing dithering technique. For now I'd focous on shade shapes and I dont think that dithering is nessary in this piece, though it can be achived.
     Okay another Idea I'd like to throw out there is contrast, don't be shy to delve into the deep end of the contrast pool. You need to understand that shades work together and a team to create something, and portray an image. Right now from your drawing you have two dark shades, correct? But the difference between the two is minimal. Make the viewer see that their are to shades, if that's not what you want to achieve then just remove one shade completely, its not doing any thing any way. Now from everyone's understanding we can all agree that ducks or rubber ones for that matter can be shiny.Yes. So I understand your idea to but a extremely lighter shade. I think you pushed the light too far and it became unnatural, also buffer between colors helps soften the edges and doesn't give the eye something sharp to look at. and remember simplify simplify simplify, when you come over ambitious you can start to complicate things,when you thought dithering could solve all problems. I say have a plan and execute.     
     Colors are a sore subject on my part but most things are. First off you should always, always understand that just because you have one color specifically for the beak doesn't mean that, that specific color can be found in the yellow of the duck it self. My art teacher used to say "spread the love" (she was and is crazy) but I think shes some what right in the fact that colors are everywhere and can be used in smart ways to trick the eye.
     Now I see you daintily threw down a shadow below the duck. I can see this was done with little thought because your intentions show you wanted a top light source. So I say, why then would your shadow imply a right light source?
     Okay I know this might be unimpressive to most but I thought it conveyed some point and I hope I helped, If I didn't then I'm very sorry.

Light doesn't deceive it does not mean to trick, it's science in motion its a law and once you know the abilities of light the more you comprehend. What applies for one idea will always apply nothing will change or has since.

Really my intentions were not to piss anyone off and if there's something wrong I would also like to lean also.
"Well, if you're still reading this, then stop. Go practice! Do a drawing. Just make shit, you know, something that is exclusively a product of you. "

Offline Red_Mist

• View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:20:27 am
PASSOUT: Thanks for the feedback, I will see what I can do to apply some of your suggestions to this piece. Also, I'm pretty good at taking in feedback; be it positive or negative, if I didnt want critisism, I wouldn't have posted it here at pixelation! So thank you  :)

Oh and thank you to everyone that repsonded to this post, I appreciated it.