AuthorTopic: The Retro RPG Challenge 1  (Read 197420 times)

Offline Pju Pju

• One pixel at a time now...
    • View Profile
    • Only Human - Swedish Band

Re: The Retro RPG Challenge 1

Reply #100 on: September 05, 2005, 09:47:27 pm
Decided to post my update before going to sleep.

Studied Sawtooth's nice road tile and managed to get some nice results for myself. I used 3 colors and 3 tiles for the road and the results were beyond what I thought I could accomplish so I'm glad. Thanks Pawige for the tip and thanks Sawtooth for the technique and thanks to all for posting and keeping my inspiration and motivation up, I will keep working on this. ^^

Offline Darion

• View Profile
    • Portfolio bitch

Reply #101 on: September 05, 2005, 11:25:43 pm
Pju Pju: Don't you realize that you can't see the lightest shade of the dirt when not zoomed in? If you can't see it, then don't even bother using it; brighten it until you can.
@darionmccoy

Offline PixelPusher

• View Profile

Reply #102 on: September 06, 2005, 06:46:33 am
I can see the lightest shade, and it adds depth.

Anyways, I still haven't gotten some nice tiles done. *sigh*
I can't seem to put them all together right.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #103 on: September 06, 2005, 08:50:04 am
Darion is absolutally right about the highlight. I can see it if i look carefully, but still it is way too close. You should not be afraid to use colours that are more contrasting. The grass has the same problem as well to an extent.

Made a lil edit

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Pju Pju

• One pixel at a time now...
    • View Profile
    • Only Human - Swedish Band

Reply #104 on: September 06, 2005, 06:02:37 pm
Thanks guys! I choose those colors because it made the road look like part of the background, however I see the point about contrast and I think you might be right. I'll experiment with it, add some more tiles and post an update when I'm done.

And while I'm here ^^

Mystic Aurora: I like the nice clean style, how you kept the grass and dirt one color and added tiny details like the flowers to show that green is grass for example. Replacing the texture of wood on the cabin and making it brown with cabin details could probably help toward that style. A candle in the window, a rocking chair on a porch or something similar.

Nice work so far everyone!

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #105 on: September 08, 2005, 06:54:54 pm
Here's what I've got at the moment...Think I'm about 6-7 hours in on this...

So far I'm at 78 8x8 tiles...Still need to put them together for my mockup though.  :-\
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:39:46 pm by eghost »

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #106 on: September 10, 2005, 06:50:20 pm
well, usually i dont like to post WIPs, but I just noticed that this thread has become un-stickied so i thought i should post before its too late.  Any C+C so far?

WIP:

yeah, i know.  I'm a scatter-brain when it comes to making tiles.

Offline Mercury Rising

• View Profile
    • RaiderRobotix

Reply #107 on: September 10, 2005, 08:20:28 pm
Its a little dark all around.  For the dirt, you got rid of the ability for me to find the end and beginning of your tile but its too repetitive.  Same with the low grass.  Add some random things to break it up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 10:34:44 pm by BrotherInWar »
Proud to be a BMS team:

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #108 on: September 10, 2005, 11:29:08 pm
More c&c..

Mori: Nice work, those trees are playful. I would probably try and make the roots blend more into the ground, they seem to be resting on it at the moment. The rocks all look the same and with that blade of grass sticking up into it, it makes them all seem odd. The sprite character seems very well done. I find it interesting how you did your grass, looks stylish..

Josiah Tobin: Nifty idea, I like the feeling of the trees, feels very foresty. I noticed the house is very boxy, I would suggest making the shape of it more interesting by making it smaller and adding an addition to it's side or something, that way it wont be so square shaped. I also think the grass is too busy with such few colors it uses (2). Try looking into how to keep minimal patches and then scatter some details in different places..

Faceless: I'm liking this, its very vibrant. I'd probably prefer the new version since it has more color, but the other seems fine too because it has a sort of hazey summer effect with that one. I love the design of everything, though the trees like mori's seem to be also resting on the ground rather than penetrating it.

Helm: That is quite an interesting concept. Definately better than the first try. I like how you incorporate a sense of depth with the background, playing with the perspective yet keeping the rpg-like view, that's excellent.

Xion Night: hmm.. I like how you attempted to do some night scene. Unfortunately, it is very dark and difficult to make out everything at 1x. You could probably lighten everything up a bit, along with giveing it a blue tint. The blue would help give the impression that it is in the dark.

G_Dragon: I like the direction you went with keeping things small, looks very different from others. Only drawback is that you get a sense of the tiles and blockyness when you keep things small and tight/constricted like that.

Peppermint Pig: I like the rather lush looking scene. There is a lot of variety within the picture. I only noticed the hidden ninja while looking at it this time, haha.. The path could maybe use some varience in the texture maybe..

Pju Pju: Nice effort so far.. The grass is looking very neon, I'd suggest playing with the color a bit. The taller grass patches could be less spikey and more springy. As for the updated version, the sand looks better with a texture like that, makes it more interesting.

Schu: Interesting, its nice you went in a different direction in regards to theme, but alot of it doesnt have much form. There are random looking shapes and it is hard to understand it. I'd suggest maknig it more functional looking. The direction/concept is good though.

Sawtooth: hehe, is that thing stuck in a cave?.. The opening of the cave isn't that apparent, makes the thing look jammed in. Its very colorful, and the details are nice, such as the scaley skin.

Pawige: Very nice, feels very clay-ish/cave-ish.. The small details work well, and its not too cluttered. The sprites look rather small when standing next to the table though, dunno if that is a big deal to you or not.

Akira: yeah, strange sense of color. colorblind maybe? Despite the colors, the details within the image are great, the trees look excellent and the house is nice too. I also like how the road dissipates into the forest. nice work.

ShadowGuy: Nice attempt at a cave scene. Your cave is very straight and flat, i'd suggest more diagnals in the paths and have rockier walls. I also noticed the colors are rather desaturated, which can be good, but you have things that could be improved with a more contrast such as the fire and treasure chest. The characters also blend in with the cave because they are similar tones.

Mystic Aurora: Looks good. I like how you focused the details into the edges of the forms for the ground, gives a nice effect. The character also works nicely. Your house is like Josiah Tobin's, it is very boxy/square-ish. I'd suggest waht I suggested to him, uoi can also look for ways to make things have more form, like adding shadoe under the edge of the roof to make the roof look like its popping out.

eghost: nice looking tiles so far, should be interesting to see some scene constructed out of them. From what i see, things seem alright, hard to check though in this stage.

Indigo: Nice work, I like the choice of colors. The variety of the surfaces are excellent as well as the detail put into them. Everything meshes very well.

Offline pixel32

• 20th boy
    • View Profile

Reply #109 on: September 12, 2005, 10:06:35 am
I never design "rpg background" before,so just for exercise   ;D
If I want to draw the perfect "rpg background",must need more and more exercise.
BTW everyone's work were COOL   :P I like all  ;D

That's my exercise:
20th boy