AuthorTopic: The Retro RPG Challenge 1  (Read 198344 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: The Retro RPG Challenge 1

Reply #70 on: August 20, 2005, 06:51:59 pm
all gameboys can do x and y flips of tiles.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mori

• Gao!
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: August 21, 2005, 06:29:38 am
Well, since people are posting wips, I think I'll post this one since I probably won't be able to work on it again for several more days (moving into college and what-not).  Uses a total of 98 tiles and 16 colors (including the sprite).  I, for one, am fairly impressed with myself doing this in only about 3 hours. :\

I still need to add some of the overhead thingies, like, uh, health... also more sprites. :p
Hey, #pixelation is still around on irc.sorcery.net. So point your favorite IRC client that way and hang a while.

Offline jsmith71

• View Profile

Reply #72 on: August 22, 2005, 02:38:13 am
I give you... Pacing Pete the Profoundly Puzzled Lumberjack.

(he's puzzled as to why the last part of his name doesn't start with a P. I was bored.)
For no particular reason I decided to limit myself to 8 (total) colors on the tiles. (more with the sprite's colors) That's why the roof is green. :)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 02:40:58 am by Josiah Tobin »

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #73 on: August 22, 2005, 01:48:29 pm
I was inspired to pick up the mouse again, and to actually sprite something by Schu and Darion's submissions.
So here's mine:

It's a little barren, and parts - like the hearts - don't really fit, but I think it's not a bad effort for the first pixels I've pushed since Panda_guy and I did a collab resulting in a cockroach. Perhaps he can remind me when that was.

All counted there's 9 colours I believe, 8x8 Grid.

Offline jsmith71

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: August 23, 2005, 03:12:07 am
Faceless: My main complaint, if I may offer it, is that it's WAAAY TOO BRIGHT. :P Even on my monitor, which is far too dark, it still burns my eyes. Not necessarily saturation, just... it's all really... bright! Aside from that, it looks good, though it's hard to critique because of it. The only other thing I can really point out is the shoreline-- looks to be just straight and diagonal lines. Might look better if it looked more natural.

Offline Negative Gravity

• I'm a Pixel!
    • View Profile
    • Zoomrix

Reply #75 on: August 23, 2005, 04:52:07 am
Negative Gravity, the first thing which stand out to me is the colors. Everything just uses one color for each thing, for example, your grass is a very green-ish color, one type of bricks are simply brown-ish, and the other type of brick is simply red-ish, and your dirt is simply brown-ish. I dunno, it may be due to the limited colors you can use which is causeing you trouble, but I suggest trying to mess around with colors and lack of color and experiment with changeing the hues slightly of parallel colors. check next critique to get a clue..

Wow, you sure took time to critique everyone here. You most probably have helped many people so far. I know you have helped me realize my color problem.  :D I will try to work on it around my school schedule (not the actual schedule just the timing)

PS: You are Kon from original Pixelation, aren't you? I think I recognize you by your Oh-so-sweet website Final Redemption. Lots of inspiration there.

aka: Zoomrix

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #76 on: August 23, 2005, 08:00:43 am

I figured, since I had so much trouble with these simple tilesets, I really needed practise. So I went back and did another one. This is some sort of ogre-battle type tactical rpg. The catch is, that when you go into a fight, your group behaves like in Tales of Phantasia let's say. Semi-independent while you control only one of them, in real-time action. This is a fight that occurs over a 'rift' map tile, hence the middle hole. The poor fighters just have to hang around while the archers arrow it out.

Specifics:

about 16 colours used, along with sprites and transparencies. The tileset uses 7 colours, most of the tiles are rightly 4 colours and no more. I am however using some imaginary technical trickery for the full white highlights, possibly a few rawdraw sprites. A waste of sprite memory, but then again, it's only one room, not a scrolling map. The white highlight 'sprites' are well within the limits of the sprite-per-tile-line limitations.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: August 23, 2005, 08:04:42 am
Faceless: My main complaint, if I may offer it, is that it's WAAAY TOO BRIGHT. :P Even on my monitor, which is far too dark, it still burns my eyes. Not necessarily saturation, just... it's all really... bright! Aside from that, it looks good, though it's hard to critique because of it. The only other thing I can really point out is the shoreline-- looks to be just straight and diagonal lines. Might look better if it looked more natural.

I don't mean to disregard your comments, but I'm really not seeing the burning retina thing... I asked a few other people for their opinions, and they agree with me.
Does anyone else here think a palette adjustment is necessary? ???

As for the shore line... you're absolutely right, it was a last minute inclusion because with only the tiles I had, the Mockup looked even more boring than it does now...
I'll probably update this with a house or something, and some reworked shoreline.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #78 on: August 23, 2005, 08:40:05 am
It's a matter of preference, but I think I'd go with something like this:

dunno how the GMC backlights, but your image would probably come out mostly dodged white so yeah, significantly less brightness, and I stretched your shades out from black to white quite a lot more.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: August 23, 2005, 08:46:59 am
The GBC had no backlight, but two votes against now; I think I'd better mess around with the palette afterall. (Still interested in others' opinions on the brightness (and on the tiles :P))

Edit:
=>
Better?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 09:29:46 am by Faceless »