AuthorTopic: The Retro RPG Challenge 1  (Read 197391 times)

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Re: The Retro RPG Challenge 1

Reply #120 on: May 16, 2006, 03:09:16 pm
Hi everyone.
Judging from the dates of this thread this challenge is quite old and I'm not sure if it is even considered still active, but after reading this thread, I felt that I wanted to give it a try myself to train my uhm... 'skills'.

To the right is my first try which I worked on approx. 5 hours this forenoon.
To the left is the revisited first try, which took me *cough* another 2 hours in the afternoon after a short break.(Speed isn't exactly my strength.)
I'm still not happy with the result, so I'll give it another try tomorrow, maybe even completely start over, but I still wanted to share the current state, so here it is:

I checked myself several times to make sure everything is within the color and size limits.
I made use of tile flipping horizontally and vertically but I didn't put the flipped versions in the tileset. The scene is still missing a hero, so far there is only some lonely old witch there.

Offline Turbo

• less than meets the eye
    • View Profile
    • Pixeljoint TurboAccount

Reply #121 on: May 16, 2006, 04:12:17 pm
I like it, everything is very easy to read and the colors are nice, old-skool looking. Except the safe. It looks too washed out, when it should pop out significantly, being an interactable item. It was better in the inital version, but since you changed the floor color (for the better, looks more like a dark cave now), you should also pay attention to keep the safe popping. Maybe add some of that black.

Also, i think the tiles that show the cutaway of the walls (the black ones) should have the transition to full black more abrupt, i don't particularly like them as they are now.
Love the witch though :)

P.S: if you post you image using the [ img ] tags, we will be able to zoom on it by clicking on the mouse.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #122 on: May 17, 2006, 09:11:36 am
((?) I did use the [ img ] tags and click zooming worked here.)

Thank you for your feedback Turbo, I hope the issues you mentioned are fixed now. I changed the colors of the safe to contrast the floor.(Didn't want to use black for no particular reason, I just felt the  violet looked funky.) On the transition tiles, I removed the gray color to make the brown go black instantly, but I'm not sure if that was what you meant or If you meant that the thickness of the brown border is too high.

I've also added some new content to the scene:
The hero has arrived now to rid the cave of the bug and the bat, who have without permission entered the witches home(the cave). Since living in a too dark cave can't be very healthy I also gave her home a few torches. Now if I could just remember why the witch has those corpses on her floor... maybe she eats people and doesn't have a trashcan.
The green things are supposed to be some fungoid stuff.

I'm going to try an outdoor scene this afternoon.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #123 on: May 18, 2006, 03:04:56 pm
My apologies for the delay, the outdoor mockup took me longer than I thought.

This time the hero is facing a mutated crab-man-mud-monster and his snake minions out in the wilderness, who are guarding the only bridge over the river.
Again I made use of tile flipping and didn't put the flipped tiles in the tileset.
The tileset probably isn't complete, especially the river tiles as they are now, would not allow making lots of variations and different curves, because I only made as many tiles as were necessary for the mockup.

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #124 on: May 18, 2006, 03:43:14 pm
heres what i have so far, not coloured though

some awesome entries here :)

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #125 on: May 20, 2006, 08:42:01 am

update

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #126 on: May 20, 2006, 09:38:20 am
There is a well visible too obvious black line going down between your 3rd tile when it's tiled.(I think it's located in the top left corner of that tile) Other than than the few tiles you've got so far do connect nicely.

Offline 8bitty

• poop
    • View Profile

Reply #127 on: May 20, 2006, 02:19:57 pm

yeah i noticed that too after a bit :/

update

Offline vierbit

• 0.09 posts per day
    • View Profile

Reply #128 on: May 20, 2006, 03:14:19 pm
Good to see that someone bring this old thread back.

hm.. I dont like the sprites at all.
maybe add some kind of enemy later.
Some nice other entrys here,
to bad that some images are deleted.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 02:14:11 pm by vierbit »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #129 on: May 20, 2006, 03:17:57 pm
oh wow vierbit, whereas I like, there's a very strange 8x8 grid effect going on in there. What happen?