AuthorTopic: The Retro RPG Challenge 1  (Read 197436 times)

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: The Retro RPG Challenge 1

Reply #110 on: September 12, 2005, 05:03:22 pm
Looks good pixel32, although it doesnt seem very tiled. For example, the water looks as if it consists of a unique tile for every space, and the trees are positioned in varying closeness to each other that I'm not sure how the tiles are organized if at all..
I'd just suggest organizeing the tiles more, and makeing optimum use of every tile, reuseing tiles whenever you can.

Offline pixel32

• 20th boy
    • View Profile

Reply #111 on: September 13, 2005, 02:35:50 am
Looks good pixel32, although it doesnt seem very tiled. For example, the water looks as if it consists of a unique tile for every space, and the trees are positioned in varying closeness to each other that I'm not sure how the tiles are organized if at all..
I'd just suggest organizeing the tiles more, and makeing optimum use of every tile, reuseing tiles whenever you can.

Thanks,that updata now  ;D

20th boy

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #112 on: September 16, 2005, 05:54:46 pm
Just posting a WIP...I need to make a few more transition tiles before I can call it finished...I'm assuming it's ok to use tile flipping as it's inherent to the GBC...?

Still only have the 4 palettes...
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:38:59 pm by eghost »

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #113 on: October 09, 2005, 10:35:02 am
I've never tiled before, but I'm really enjoying this. Theres a whole lot left to do obviously, but I'd like to hear a bit of respone on what I've got so far! I can probably still fiddle with the colours a lot. Can't wait to do the characters and enemies.

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #114 on: October 10, 2005, 12:09:44 am
Finished it this morning. I'm a little peeved about how limited I was with the characters, but thats what you get for working in 8x8! There is currently 22 colours used, plus transparancies.

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #115 on: October 10, 2005, 06:10:01 pm
Too cute isvan. I like your vegetation colors. Your castle could have maybe used a SLIGHTLY hue shifted gray blue to tan?? How can I fear ninjas like that?

eghost, those are some great looking tiles. Water effect is great, though maybe too detailed at this size. What's going on under the bridge, btw? I hope you do a second scene with those tiles. Great work.

Offline istvan

• View Profile
    • Pixel Joint Gallery

Reply #116 on: October 11, 2005, 12:20:44 am
Thanks Pep! You're not wrong. I didnt quite make it tan coloured because I got distracted by this hue shift along the way. I think it really brings out the power of one colour change!

I think if I had more experience with tiling I'd be able to comment more effectively on other's work, but so far the stand outs for me have been Darion, Schu, Alex Hanson-White, Pep Pig and eghost. These ones just appealed to me as works that have been able to create interesting scenes and characters, put to use creative limited palettes and break up the repetitive nature of tile work. It's nice to have so much inspiration at your doorstep.

Offline eghost

• Vagrant
    • View Profile
    • My Pixel Joint profile page

Reply #117 on: November 04, 2005, 06:48:12 pm
 :o

Thanks guys!!  ;D

Thought I'd post where I'd gotten to...

@Pep: I was trying to give the feel off the water being better shaded by the banks, decided to kill that effect out in this rendition...

I'll be working on the sprite layers next, liven this thing up a bit....Still haven't quite figured out what I want to do with my 4 remaining bg palettes though... :-\

EDIT: Image re-linked
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 08:38:12 pm by eghost »

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #118 on: April 09, 2006, 12:41:51 am

Offline Zach

• Bear
    • View Profile

Reply #119 on: April 09, 2006, 10:06:38 pm