AuthorTopic: Character sprites and cave background tiles.  (Read 4285 times)

Offline Alejo

• View Profile

Character sprites and cave background tiles.

on: November 01, 2009, 03:07:47 am
Hey there, I'm new here and I was hoping to get some help from you guys

I need criticism on the player's sprites and on the rock wall on the right. I'm using the one from FF Dawn Of Souls as a reference.

I'm already redoing the shield, and on the final version the sword will move.

Any constructive criticism is welcome.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Re: Character sprites and cave background tiles.

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 08:43:22 am
On the character=

I like the design so far, also the colors and how they are used. I found a few small things that look a little bit weird and out of place... the feet for example, maybe make it look like it has them, right now it looks like he doesn't have any feet, just legs, but no feet. On another note, he is holding the tip of the handle of the sword, which he should grab the sword from the handle... crap how can I explain... do you know what I mean? shift the position of the sword "down-left" about 2 pixels so it looks like he's actually grabbing the handle propertly.

On the bg=

Sorry can't really help you with this, since I don't know much about making bgs. Someone else will help with that.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 11:08:17 am
Hello

First of all, I have problems in believing wether you made the background tiles or not, tendency to "do not believe" in comparison with the other stuff and structure of your selfmade cavetiles.

Is it a reference possibly you're trying to get something as close as that?
In terms of char design, the little guy is somewhat cute, the overall game looks like as if it's a GBA game.

I might give animation criticm later on when I'm at home  :-*
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 11:41:27 am
elk, he/she says
I'm using the one from FF Dawn Of Souls as a reference
which is the bit at the bottom I'm asuming you were talking about

Offline Alejo

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:22:34 pm
Updated:

@Elk: As stated by Photocopier, I used the FF Dawn of Souls one as a reference for the cave opening, ground texture and some shades for the walls. The wall tiles are 100% custom.

@Antifarea: Thanks for the criticism, originally I wasn't gonna draw feet but I did a test version with feet to see how it looked. I also modified the sword grip following your advice.

Added a new sprite, the first boss of the game, today I'm gonna try and finish the ground tiles and start on some other animations.

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 08:41:17 pm
love the look of the feet, could you show the animations as animated gifs please? so we can more easily see them.
I'm asuming the floor isn't finished yet because at the moment the transition isn't very gradual.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:06:52 pm
@Antifarea: Thanks for the criticism, originally I wasn't gonna draw feet but I did a test version with feet to see how it looked. I also modified the sword grip following your advice.

Aha! see..? now I like how that looks. ;D The feet looks cool, and the holding of the sword isn't akward anymore... About the red wizard, I like the design and the staff, I will have to see how you try to animate it, and after you do the arms of him holding the staff... well I'll check for new updates.