AuthorTopic: An introduction by me + ominous hovering villain!  (Read 3830 times)

Offline Macroparasite

• View Profile

An introduction by me + ominous hovering villain!

on: November 01, 2009, 12:22:00 am
Hello thar!

My name is Tomas, I hail from Denmark, and I am in fact a veteran of the Pixelation boards, being active back when it was still run by Tsugumo and Frozenemu. I've sort of lost touch with the pixelling society and mostly focused on other mediums, but my good acquaintance (Lackey) inspired me to participate in the Hex challenge and this brought my interest in pixel art back after several years.

I went by the name "Mirage" but this name has been taken by another artist since then, apparently. :) so I grabbed me a new one.

Anyway, on to the sprite. I feel incredibly rusty, and seeing the amazing things people spit out makes me very jealous ;_; so, by all means, shower me with constructive criticism. I'd REALLY like any helpful pointers on choice of color and shading in general. Thank you in advance and hope to see you all around. <3

- Tomas

PS: If someone could remind me how to create a transparent background in GraphicsGale, please do notify me and I'll change it asap. :)

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Re: An introduction by me + ominous hovering villain!

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 03:00:27 am
The wings are awesome, but at first I thought they were fire... Then after studying it a bit I realized that they were, in fact, wings :P It is also quite difficult to tell the two apart, maybe you could do some shading on the back one (not to horribly much, cause I love that color :D) so that we can tell em apart. Overall me likey :D

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 08:56:06 am
On the good side I find the colors well chosen. The character design is appealing... although I find the feet part somewhat unatractive, also the wings and I think it's cause despite the design in overall is appealing it's also kind of confusing... the wings for example at first looked like fire, then like a parasite, then I was thinking it was a cape... when I finally read it were wings (and no, I'm not doing shrooms nor I do drugs) according to another member... Most of the reason why I think I got so confused about that is cause of the left side of the left wing... looks like either a piece of cloth or some strange fire design.

I think I find some but not soo much pillow shading in the body (the pants for example) while the rest of the shading in the hair and the wings is different... that goes the same for the face, where it looks like the light is hitting him from up-right but then the hair looks like it's from up-left...

Hope this helps.

Offline Macroparasite

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 12:39:38 pm
Thank you both... actually the "wings" are his scarf... I know, it's kinda oversized. If they were wings I would've probably made them more identical and well, wing-like in appearance, ^^;

Gonna try to do some corrections. :)

EDIT: Changed his scarf to look more scarfish, and tried to remove some of the pillow shading on the legs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:17:50 pm by Macroparasite »

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 06:12:09 pm
I'm not sure how anyone can mistake the scarf trails for wings. Even the original (provided you updated it as you said you did), which I saw but never responded too it was quite clear what they were. The main issue with them is the colors used and the shading style for them - despite being very cool and attractive - doesn't necessarily convey cloth very well. I have no issues with the legs or feet, I think they look pretty cool.

Offline TVboyCanti

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 03:48:50 am
Maybe you could turn down the saturation on the scarf. And maybe also make the highlights on the scarf a more similar hue to the base color. Yellow seems like kind of a strange highlight for a red scarf.

Offline CharlesGabriel

• Veritas Omnia Vincit
    • View Profile
    • CG Artsenal

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 12:09:22 pm
Maybe you could turn down the saturation on the scarf. And maybe also make the highlights on the scarf a more similar hue to the base color. Yellow seems like kind of a strange highlight for a red scarf.

Actually, now that you mention it, he can replace that green and use the same bright orange of the skin color of the face (1st color on the left of the 1st row) and that way he saves himself a color.  :lol: