AuthorTopic: .TakaM's up to no good  (Read 10184 times)

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: .TakaM's up to no good

Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:30:36 am
Hahha, you bastard! :p
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 11:41:49 am
looks really cool snake, interested in seeing the edited tiles and ganon sprite :)
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 10:13:40 pm
Well, here's the breakdown:

Took the background from Hyrule castle:

It was a little damaged, but I fixed it up in the edit.

Then I edited all Icons into Ganon's pig emblem. The windows depict an abstract pig holding the triforce, but because it's in GBA screen size, you can't see all of it.
And naturally, the throne looked a little too happy, so I fixed that up.

The really hard part was to get Ganondorf to look like the Minish Cap sprites. Thing is, he's big, has a tiny head and a lot of black on him were as most of the original sprites have huge heads, tiny bodies and bright colours.
This is a far as I can light them up before his orange patters start to fade. I'm still a little unsure about the result, but.. meh.

And of course, the finished thing.

Hope more people join in.

(Heh, bastard.)

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #13 on: April 01, 2006, 03:32:30 am
Very nice fakes, people. I think I'll try my hand at one or a few...
Maybe.

Hey, snake, did anyone believe yours?

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: April 01, 2006, 05:24:20 pm
Wouldn't think so, as this is the first place I've posted it.

This would be the perfect day to get it hosted somewhere though. If you know somewhere where this can make an inpact, feel free to cause mayham.  :P

Offline Nix

• when life throws you pixels.. make pixelade
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: April 01, 2006, 07:10:11 pm
dont want to sound too noobish.. but how did you getthe pictures onto your GB's..
Nixel Art

Offline Overkill

• View Profile
    • i make video games

Reply #16 on: April 01, 2006, 10:22:25 pm
dont want to sound too noobish.. but how did you getthe pictures onto your GB's..

A camera, or google images, then Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or Gimp would easily suffice. Any of these tools make it possible to paste a mockup as a seperate layer and use a perspective tool. Then, you'd probably want to add some reflected light over top, since it's supposed to look like plastic, not two images pasted together. Also, you've gotta make sure you leave a bit of room for the black frames around the screen, so it doesn't look too obvious. If it's a backlit screen, you'll want to brighten the mockup. If it's not, you might want to dim it a little (if we're talking original GBA). If done well, it might be believable hoax art!

Offline snake

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: April 01, 2006, 11:03:14 pm
Overkill: I think he was referring to how TakaM was able to get his image flashed into the GB micro. That's beyond me though. Not that good with wiring things.

Nix: I just found the image by searching, however, there's been some extensive editing. Apart form what Overkill mentioned, there was also the lightsource. The picture of the DS I got had a lit bottom screen that I had to shut off. I turned down the contrasts and changed the hue to match the yellow light. Normally, you can see a vague reflection of the hinges on the screen and also see the squareish pattern on the touch-screen glass. However, when you use the flash on a camera, you don't get the same reflection. Instead, you see a wavy pattern of vertical lines. I made sure to make then just about visible. Then, I added some scratches and dirt. Of course, this only applies to the DS' bottom screen. Not the GBA.

As for the active screen itself, make sure it has the same amount of blur as the GBA image itself. Most pictures have blur and small rough parts. You can add that by using the sharpen tool in photoshop, but never to much. guess Overkill mentioned it in a way, but there is another black border on the screen itself. Remember to include that and put a reflection on it.

Well... that's what I did at least.

Offline hawken

• 8bit fantasy
    • hawkun
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio

Reply #18 on: April 05, 2006, 03:30:29 am

A camera, or google images, then Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or Gimp would easily suffice. Any of these tools make it possible to paste a mockup as a seperate layer and use a perspective tool. Then, you'd probably want to add some reflected light over top, since it's supposed to look like plastic, not two images pasted together. Also, you've gotta make sure you leave a bit of room for the black frames around the screen, so it doesn't look too obvious. If it's a backlit screen, you'll want to brighten the mockup. If it's not, you might want to dim it a little (if we're talking original GBA). If done well, it might be believable hoax art!

nice explanation

however I think these have all been done with flashrom linkers. It's easy to display an image on one of these devices.
twitter: https://twitter.com/hawkun
Pirate Pop Plus for 3DS, WiiU & Steam!