AuthorTopic: Requiem platformer sprite  (Read 3870 times)

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Requiem platformer sprite

on: October 25, 2009, 08:22:40 am

ignore the guy on the left, that was just a quick sketch for the approximate size and shape and all tha and to play with some of the colors

any potentially constructive comments or critiques you may have, please post; i want to try and make sure the sprite is as good as it's gonna get before I move onto animations

or alternatively if you have any questions, feel free to ask away

right now, areas that feel strange to me (please elaborate on these if possible) are the legs/hips, arm and neck/head in relation to the torso.

palette is supposed to be desaturated and a little dark, but if you think this is a little too much  then feel free to bring that up and maybe alternative ways to achieve the same effect

thanks in advance for any comments you might have!

Offline Gizmonicgamer

• View Profile

Re: Requiem platformer sprite

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 06:22:59 am

Idle animation. Trying to focus more on subtle shade movement than outright line art movement to create motion; akin to Samus from Super Metroid. It won't look exactly like that in-game (pacing will be different as will the speed), but I'm not entirely sure how that'll look just yet and it'll mostly be done in-game.

The palette was altered slightly when I saved it as a gif; this the sprite with the proper palette:
which is also a slightly updated version of the sprite in the opening post.

C+C, if you want~

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 09:43:22 am
Hey, this has some good potential!

What exactly is the sprite for? What platform? I'm mainly thinking in regards to target resolution, how big the sprite will be displayed. Because at desktop resolution, the sprite is a bit difficult to read.

The stark outlines make it look very jagged and flatten the volumes. Why not introduce more contrast into the palette itself and use shadows and light to pop the character instead?

In line with that, more attention needs to be given to the shading in general. Light source seems very unclear.

What kind of environments will the character in? Because if theres a lot of darkness and desaturated colours in the environment, then I say you need to pump a little colour into the sprites. Doesn't have to be insane, but you'll need some.

Offline TVboyCanti

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 06, 2009, 08:58:02 pm
The animation is very trippy, it looks like the colors are moving separatelyfrom the character and it looks very strange. The only the shading moves on on an object without the outline moving equidistantly is if you have a changing light source. But here it just looks like the characters colors are out of sync with the rest of the movements and it looks glitchy.

Offline Avocado

• Howdy
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 01:58:55 am
I actually really dug the sub-pixel animation, but it seems like you're not really done with the animation. The chest doesn't move at all and breathing originates in the chest area, and the hand of the sprite seems to jump between higher and lower without a transition. Great work so far, though.