AuthorTopic: Game Sprites  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Game Sprites

on: October 25, 2009, 06:16:26 am
Alrighty then, so I posted a while ago with a sprite for a game. Well, the game got finished, with horrible graphics :P, and I started on a new one. Unfortunately, my tablet is broken, and I can't draw well with a mouse.... my paper sketches look a million times better, but I have no scanner lol. So, here is the first sprite for my new game, Flight. This is supposed to be a vine coming out of the ground which is holding an orb that is supposed to glow.... Couldn't figure out how to make it look like its glowing, and like I said, no tablet, no scanner.... this is like a 2 year old copied my sketch. Good thing I'm not being graded on my artwork lol. Still though, any feedback would be most appreciated.

Not sure, but maybe 40x40 is a lil too small, but in game everything will be blown up so we will see. C+C tear 'er apart!  :crazy:
More sprites are on the way...

EDIT
Updates :D

Life Orb Version 2.3 with updated palletes and other neato stuff!

Lamp o Doom!

I am trying to figure out how exactly to get those vines a little more noticeable... Also working on the tileset... which is my first one (and the technical side of it is driving me nuts  :blind: )

Need all the C+C I can get. Help meh! :P

Thanks in advance!

More Updates!

Been a bit, other classes are taking priority  :'( Got some extra time tonight though and started on my tileset... each piece is broken up into 40x40 and fits together... took a bit of work, not sure how naturally it fits, but I am proud nonetheless lol... on with the pictures!

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 03:14:29 am by Pixelized »

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Re: Need Help (Loads :P)

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 07:32:59 am
Hm, at a glance, the vine seems a little too fat.
And you're over-using dithering.

As for how to make it looks like its glowing, I'll cook up an example.

EDIT:

EDIT2:
Awww, shucks.  ::)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 04:29:45 am by CrazyMLC »

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 03:43:49 am
Ok... I know you probably get this alot, but I... hate you! :P just kidding, but seriously those edits look amazing, so much so that I had to redo mine to match the second one a lil better. Definitely a better design and idea, and THANKS for the glowy bits. Think I am getting the hang of it. By no means a finished product, but may end up in the game anyways, as I still have quite a few sprites to make :P Thanks again MLC

(By the way, love your avatar, came out great)

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:55:10 am
Alrighty then, first off, small update to the life orb holder, and an all new sprite, the lamp of DOOM!!! not really doom I guess but makes it a little more interesting.

Life orby holder mabob

C&C on it, edits, whatever, I'll take em all. Sorry for the slow updates, methinks I took to many college courses >.<

Thanks in advance guys (BTW that ugly brown is going to be transparent in the game, so its not gonna be so fugly.

EDIT

Did some color changes, made the grass a bit more blue and made the actual lamp darker to make the vines more noticeable, may end up making the actual vines darker or simply widen up the lamp itself to add more detail to the vines. Still need more C+C

Need help with making the wrapping vine around the lamp a little more noticeable and uh... viney :P. Also, color choices are subject to change as the wind blows. Grass is probably going to be changed to something a lil more bluish to match the game ambiance.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:06:24 am by Pixelized »

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Re: Game Sprites

Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 03:16:22 am
Ran into a problem >.<

Is there any way to enlarge my pallete? I just started using graphics gale and it won't let me add colors to the pallete >.<

Help!

Here's some more art for the game... Here it comes... OMG!!!! ITS HERE!!!!

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2009, 03:05:52 am
Another update, been workin on the tileset during my it class :P

Here it be, added a tree that doesnt fit with the rest of the theme very well but unfortunately I am running out of time fast, gotta start programming this beast and turn it in in 2 weeks... Soo... yeah I may go back and pretty up the graphics some more after I turn it in. Still, C+C is greatly appreciated so I know what to do and what not to do :)

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 11:19:42 am
You're relying too much on lines and flat fields of colour, there's no in-between-mode, see what I mean? To give the ground structure you've drawn lines in it and to give it depth you've added colour around the lines - I don't think this approach works that well. Also contrast is way too high here, since the rock is supposed to be a single solid shape, making the detail inside it near-black really gets distracting.

Had you had the time I'd recommend that you redraw the brown area and use contrasting shapes of colour instead of drawing dark outlines. I'd edit if I had my tablet around, but maybe later.
' _ '

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 02:12:33 am
Lol, now that you mention it, I can't not notice it >.<

It's driving me nuts and I might just have to run through and do a lil palette change. Thanks for the advice.

Moving on to a background, still working on it, but I will have a wip posted up tonight or later tomorrow.

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 01:58:44 am
Alrighty then, made the background, came out.... ok.... but the actual game is due in a week, so I started on the programming... the red square is the player (cute isn't he? :P)

This is a screenshot out of the actual game... lookin much better than I thought it even possibly could, so thanks guys.... Even though I haven't had much feedback, just being on the forums is very inspiring and helpful.

On to the screenshot! Its in 800x600 resolution, and looks pretty damn good.

EDIT: That little white stripe all the way at the right is because I accidentally enlarge the canvas... So ignore it :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 03:29:17 am by Pixelized »

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:57:11 pm

Took Jad's advice and changed the pallete, added a couple extra tiles and stuff... Can't work on the art anymore because the assignment is due next week, but I do intend on working on the game after the class is over, and definitely work on the artwork...

Oh and here is a coin animation :D

*EDIT* Oh and I did take a good two hours creating a character sprite and started animating it.... but Graphics Gale stopped opening up my saves and corrupted any files that I saved with... so... bleh :(

Anyways, the red dot is going to be in the final project for class, but like I said I REALLY want to complete this game and make it work and be fun... My first venture into game design is turning out pretty well :D. Thanks for any feedback I may get, and for previous feedback... you guys ROCK
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 08:00:30 pm by Pixelized »