AuthorTopic: Working with colour and Colour blindness  (Read 4236 times)

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Working with colour and Colour blindness

on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:47 pm
I believe they call it Colour deficiency now a days and i was just wondering are there any artist on this forum who have some type of colour blindness? If so how do you work with colour? i've known i was colour blind since i was young and i've sort of shied away from colour use in my art as a result - because i don't like colouring up something only to be told that what I intended to be one colour is in fact another, apart from that even though it can't be helped i've always felt a bit embarassed about having difficulty with colours. But now i really want to start focusing on colour particularly because i want to create nice pixel art and that requires a good understanding of colour.

So if your colour blind what tools, methods etc do you use when working with colour? or if your not is there some way i can pick a colour and be fairly certain of what it is without going by eyesight alone? it's no like i only see black and white or something it's just some shades are particularly difficult to distinguish between for me.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Re: Working with colour and Colour blindness

Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:36 pm
I have it... I wasn't aware until a year or two ago. I still don't know if it effects my works, but I have once painted a scene that was supposed to be an orange sunset and showed a friend who told me it was actually green.

However, I just go about things as I normally do, perhaps the best thing is to always take into consideration others critiques that deal with your color usage, especially between the red-green values.

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 09:46:47 pm
Yeah, but i was kinda wondering if there was some way i could have a rough idea of a colour based of values or something, i've seen some tutorials on web design where the fella just types in a number and he seems to already know what colour it will be without even looking. I imagine web colours might be a bit different to colour picking for art or pixels but well, i've had trouble where i've made a characters skin colour green instead of a light brown in the past. I suppose if i practice more i'll probably get better at differentiating certain colours though.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 11:15:44 pm
In Linux/X11, the concept of 'named colors' is sort of built in. Not all colors are named, but there is a large set of colors that are. Using a color-selector tool supporting named colors could help. (if it can find the nearest named-color to the color you've selected, that might help too). I would be surprised if there are not named-color tools for Windows or Max too.
There are also web resources like http://cloford.com/resources/colours/500col.htm (which seems to be based on the standard X11R6 rgb.txt list of named colors)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 11:43:22 pm
Using the HSL slider allows you to see the difference, doesn't it?

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 12:47:52 am
with HSL sliders is the Hue basically just the base colour? would i be able to find a chart or something that divides the hue numbers into an approximation of what colour it is and use that as a jumping point? or am i understanding things all wrong.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 01:30:04 am
Hue is indeed base color. The slider goes like this:

red -> yellow -> green -> cyan -> blue -> magenta -> purple -> red again

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 01:40:24 am
I have a red/green colour deficiency. Some pinks look like grey to me and some blues look like purples. I used to shy away from using colours a lot until i got into college because i was picked on constantly by teachers in front of my art classes for it.

I've researched the colour wheel so when I go to choose colours I just know what colour im looking at from the colours beside it. If I want a certain saturation I'll pick it in a different colour and then slide it to the colour I wanted to use. Unfortunately when I use real media like markers or pencil crayons I still tend to make people green but If I focus enough I can usually tell the difference.

Offline Vercingetorix

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 02:29:22 am
Thanks for all your responses guys i think whats been said will be a big help to me

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:23 pm
Im apparently partially red green colorblind. I don't let it affect me, if it works for me im fine with it.