AuthorTopic: Favorite Pixel Art  (Read 47701 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Favorite Pixel Art

Reply #50 on: March 12, 2006, 04:51:35 am
that couldnt be more straight. we should go harrass some ripper at sprite database to get em or something XD

Luckily map rips are becoming more and more common. there's VG maps which is completly devoted to that, and there's EmuGif that is starting to do some real kickass layered rips of SNK figther and even  Mslug

I think somewhere deep within my HardDrive I have a map of the underwater level but it's not real size
« Last Edit: March 12, 2006, 07:20:29 pm by Camus »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: March 12, 2006, 07:56:59 am
Camus, my favourite non-game art pixel pieces are by Lazur and Cyclone, as one would expect. Specifically, I love the series of sea paintings by Lazur, as well as his elmore rip with the girl by the river stream that is BETTER than the original. Cyclone, I love all his stuff, but my favourite would probably be the deep-sea fish.

Mermaid's pirate pc for C64 forever remains one of my absolute favourites too.

I would link to all of those, but gfxzone is down.

To those of you that link to pixelation artist pics, no offense, but investigate the medium, outside this forum. There's people that have reached incredible heights with the artform, 5, 10 years before st0ven or Kon decided to pick up a pixel brush.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #52 on: March 12, 2006, 04:20:42 pm
or just play shitloads of video games 24/7 and then proclaim yourself to be an expert, like I do
typing ewith fdace

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #53 on: March 12, 2006, 06:44:30 pm
there's that EWJ map I mentioned. it's funny how EWJ can only look as bland as a screnshot from any other game when it's a zoomed out map.

In my oppinion EWJ tiling surpasses Mslug not because of beauty, but because it looks truly seamless and gridless whitout restricting level design in the least.

Mslug levels are usually of a set structure while EWJ levels are all over the place with all sort of crazy platforming.

I'm serious about getting these levels ripped. we have to organize and colaborate to get this done because it'd seriously benefit anyone doing any high-end 2-d game.

I bet a bunch of us have the rom, how about one screenshot every post? we can start with the first screen in EJW1 then the next person to post posts the next, and the next and the next, until we have atleast the first EWJ level ripped?

Helm. I think I may have some from those two.

I love cyclone too
(thumbnail links)                   
specially this Wolverine looking guy

but I barely remember Lazur.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 03:17:00 pm by Camus »

Offline crab2selout.png

• lost my left-most pixel in the war
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: March 12, 2006, 07:41:26 pm
To those of you that link to pixelation artist pics, no offense, but investigate the medium, outside this forum. There's people that have reached incredible heights with the artform, 5, 10 years before st0ven or Kon decided to pick up a pixel brush.
Even if I don't have any hair on my balls, I stand by my choices. These ones here are pretty bad ass, though

I can see a couple others that I've got saved on my comp as well.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #55 on: March 12, 2006, 08:05:54 pm
I completly agree with helm, I dont belive there's a single user here that's the absolute best at what he does, there are better examples of every skillset in the pro scene.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: March 12, 2006, 08:18:22 pm
I second that, if none of us looked outside our community for examples of what to aspire to in the medium, nobody would ever get any better past a certain (mediocre) point.  I know this because it's one of the ways I constantly hamstring myself in my development :P
typing ewith fdace

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: March 13, 2006, 06:50:55 am
Demoscene stuff, although impressive, isn't very interesting in my opinion. It's always felt cold and distant to me. Sure it's neat to see near photo quality pixels and all, but they don't hold my attention. I prefer a simpler, cleaner look in pixel art. Especially when they have bold colors that harmonize well.
Riva:

Morganne:

Ndeal:

And a couple from Rubicon, I think it was called, Mark Jones was the artist if I remember correctly. Also two from the D&D arcade game.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2006, 06:56:09 am by Blick »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #58 on: March 13, 2006, 07:01:21 am
I don't think the Cyclone stuff above is photorealistic at all. The Riva pic you posted is totally demoscene inspired too, but sure, to each his own. I adore the Rubicon art you posted, and Ndeal used to be very good, dunno what he's doing now as far as pixels are concerned.

Offline Miguel

• View Profile

Reply #59 on: March 13, 2006, 07:05:52 am
Doing Graphic Design to eat  ;D

As for fav pixel art, my oscar goes to josh, jesus just look at this: