AuthorTopic: Favorite Pixel Art  (Read 47526 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Favorite Pixel Art

Reply #30 on: March 10, 2006, 07:30:33 am
The great thing about Flashback are it's tilesets, not the animations, so much. Sure, they're smooth a a recently dead teenage girl's bottom, but they're rotoscope-based, which is CHEATING LOL but the tilesets... the tilesets!!

Flashback comes back from a time ( like the bitmap brothers games) when Art Direction was existing in computer games, and besides trying to mirror reality, studios went 'how can he make this distinctive and stylish?'

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #31 on: March 10, 2006, 10:00:26 am
Most of the Heart of Darkness sprites are rendered. No pixelart there, apart form maybe the shadows which are wicked.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: March 10, 2006, 11:29:50 am
The shadows are traditionally animated and then pixel-tweaked.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #33 on: March 10, 2006, 12:56:34 pm
Flashback comes back from a time ( like the bitmap brothers games) when Art Direction was existing in computer games, and besides trying to mirror reality, studios went 'how can he make this distinctive and stylish?'

There is still artdirection in games, good one too (mostly in japanese games). Most american ones dont have very good art direction tho.

On another account: Why aren't you on msn?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 12:58:10 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: March 10, 2006, 01:24:28 pm
Yeah the art direction usually is 'let's make this look like generic anime'.

And msn died and I forgot to restart it. On now.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 10, 2006, 04:37:23 pm
Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess was balls-out awesome, but the graphics for the different rooms varied in quality, kinda like in It Came from the Desert.  Some rooms look like they were pieced together by two or more artists who had no idea what the other was doing :x

Most of the stuff from Batman for NES.  Not like it's spectacular art, I just love how they choked all the detail out of it by using tons and tons of black.

Demon's Crest, SNES.

typing ewith fdace

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #36 on: March 10, 2006, 06:55:57 pm
Oh yeah Demon's Crest definately. That screenshot doesn't do it justice at all.

And the NES batman is hilarious and awesome. Hilarious because it's CLEARLY not a batman game, but I guess the developers scored batman rights and put the caped hero in, minor gameplay alterations. Bats fights mostly robots and stuff in this, the levels have nothing to do with the comics or movie, and jocker is hilariously tacked on at the end as well. Awesome because it's the best animated/looking game on the NES. A joy to behold, I urge anyone to try it. Hellishly difficult, too.

good pic(k)s, goat.

Offline Rawsushi

• View Profile
    • Terrormisu - The Art of B Rosaschi

Reply #37 on: March 10, 2006, 07:06:09 pm
Batman is my favorite NES game. His punches? Best attack in the game.

I'd post some shots from both Earthworm Jim and Earthworm Jim 2, but I can't find anything decent.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #38 on: March 10, 2006, 07:20:26 pm
http://www.locustleaves.com/sachs.png

sorry for desktop pic, but the website this was on has since died. This is Jim Sachs, a master of the trade, NOT demoscene man, completely uninformed of AA techniques, his own dither style and he still rules the lot. He did art for A500 version of Defender of the Crown and the like. He is one of my personal favourites, and I would love to interview him one day.

http://www.fish-byte.com/AboutAuth.htm

for more.

Captain Blood

Reply #39 on: March 10, 2006, 07:24:59 pm
Most of the stuff from Batman for NES.  Not like it's spectacular art, I just love how they choked all the detail out of it by using tons and tons of black.

And the NES batman is hilarious and awesome. Hilarious because it's CLEARLY not a batman game, but I guess the developers scored batman rights and put the caped hero in, minor gameplay alterations. Bats fights mostly robots and stuff in this, the levels have nothing to do with the comics or movie, and jocker is hilariously tacked on at the end as well. Awesome because it's the best animated/looking game on the NES. A joy to behold, I urge anyone to try it. Hellishly difficult, too.

Yup I always bring up Batman when a NES graphics discussion starts up on places.  Had me the cartridge about 6 months after it came out (got £20 knocked off the price too).  Just fell in love with the whole look of that game (rich colors amongst the atmospheric use of black and the Batmobile cutscenes just amazed me, especially seeing the lil machine guns appear and the Batmobile drive and sorta skid as it stopped).  Was one of the games that really got me into pixel art.  Great gameplay and fantastic music too.  But yeah, Helm, as ya say it ain't a really a Batman game at all.  Who cares though...