AuthorTopic: Favorite Pixel Art  (Read 47527 times)

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Favorite Pixel Art

on: March 07, 2006, 08:05:35 am
Post here pixel art that you've dug enough to save to your computer.  I don't mean this to be an butt-kissing thread, just a resource spot for people to post art for people who may not have seen them.  I'm mostly doing this for selfish reasons, as all the art that I had saved from days gone by got wiped from my computer a few years ago (including all of mine (though I don't by many means expect anyone to have art by varken on their computer, but I would love you to no end if you did, heh)) and I'm mostly hoping to see a lot of art from people that aren't around anymore, but just post your favorites.  I guess I'll get the ball rolling, although I unfortunately only have mostly more recent stuff or stuff you could find pretty easily.

By xenodragon.  I can't for the life of me remember where I found this.

By Jeremy Dower.  Found it at his website: www.jeremydower.com

The only real oldie I think I have on my computer.  By Z Gravity.  If anyone has the jump animation he did with that guy with the big asian style hat who was wrapped in bandages, I'd be really interested in seeing that again. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 08:11:41 am by Darien »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Favorite Pixel Art

Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 11:16:11 am

In Game Art, Henk Nieborg is your god.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 12:03:15 pm
tho he could only pull this stuff off because of good coding as well :D but he IS good
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Mr.Modem

• My avatar is more outdated than yours...
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 02:28:27 pm
Yep, Henk Nieborg is truly a master. This thread has a lot of potential, it's going to be a great resource when you want to study other peoples art. I could probably post several hundred pictures but I've chosed two wich I like very much. They were both made about 10-15 years ago in typical demoscene style. You could probably argue about the colour count. Both pictures could use much more optimized palletes if the artist wanted to but since the limitations of the computers at that time was 256 colours (they were made on Amiga 1200 I think) the artist never bothered to reduce the colour count.

Picture by Cougar:

A pic by RA from the old demoscene group Sanity:

Both images is best viewed with 2x zoom
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 04:26:55 pm by Mr.Modem »
Nobody is perfect. I'm nobody.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 04:09:09 pm
Not touching RA, but sadly the Cougar pic is partly a copy from a dungeons and dragons cover painting.

Offline Mr.Modem

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 04:26:34 pm
Didn't know about that Helm, it's kinda disappointing. I haven't been able to find that cover art your talking about though. Even though it's not his own idea I think he have done a great job pixeling it.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 04:31:15 pm
He sure did. Cougar is very good, although his stuff is a bit too antialiased. But I wouldn't want to be the one to say that one of my favourite pixel art pieces is a copy...

Edit: I did some googling, at first I remembered it being elmore, but I checked his online gallery and no such pic exists. I googled 'red dragon' and actually browsed the first 20 pages or so, it's bt the same artist as this

i'm pretty certain, but I certainly can't make out the signature

I'm sure I didn't dream this, Cougar has copied the dragon from somewhere. The rest is his, but the dragon head is from somewhere.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 04:51:29 pm by Helm »

Offline Mr.Modem

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 05:10:56 pm
If he just copied the head, then he did a damn well job with the composition of the picture. I love the way everything blends together and the details inside the cave. But as you say he tend to use too much antialiasing. http://www.kameli.net/nocopy is a site with lots of demoscene pictures that have been proven to be copies of other artists works. It's funny to see that so many pictures were just copies of Boris Vallejo paintings. I couldn't find this D&D picture though. Maybe we should get back to the topic now.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:12:28 pm by Mr.Modem »

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 05:27:33 pm
@Darien: Lol I can't believe one of my pics made it into this thread XD. That giant-slam animation is mine, from http://www.crystaltechstudios.com.

@helm, the artist you're looking for with TSR dragon pics is probably Todd Lockwood. Not sure if that specific pic is in his gallery though.
http://www.toddlockwood.com

Also the reason why I switched from xenodrogen to dhaos, is that some of my german friends...well had alot of fun with my screen name lol >.< Apparently 'drogen' means drugs in german. I had originally based it off of a town in the breath of fire series however...

As far as my favorite pixel pieces... the monsters and bosses (2d ones that is) from breath of fire 3 and 4 take the cake. Sadly the sites that host these sprites are all like...down right now U______U I'd upload some but my storage is getting too low *cries*

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 05:29:40 pm
Jeff Easley

And that pic you posted there was actually copied as well, Helm :D It's in the nocopy gallery
« Last Edit: March 07, 2006, 05:32:42 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.