AuthorTopic: Summer Leaves, or Autumn Falls: C64 HiRes doodle  (Read 4535 times)

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Theodore Customs

Summer Leaves, or Autumn Falls: C64 HiRes doodle

on: October 06, 2009, 08:30:36 am
been doodling yesterday's evening, nothing specific here really.

(please refresh)

not yet error-checked, will look nice against the black "hardware" border when I get it working on a C64 format.

I will later ask someone to take a picture of it running on the real thing.

any suggestions?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:32:31 am by johnnyspade »
Even a common man by obtaining knowledge becomes a Buddha.
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: Summer Leaves, or Autumn Falls: C64 HiRes doodle

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 08:38:01 am
Looking pretty good. The hue shifts are a bit erratic, don't know if you can tone it down any, but it is fighting the form a little at the moment, I think. Could perhaps use some heavier shadow on our right side of the face. Hair could use some highlights; something to add a bit of form to it. Could try dither-AAing the hair and shadow. Tones on the neck appear too different from the face/too similar to the shirt. Background could maybe have some smaller diamonds as well, something to add a little more flow to the composition.

Just things to experiment with if you feel like it, I guess.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:05:56 am
Bobblehead problem.

The successes you achieved through SCIENCE!! in the 'Razor, Leader of the Blades' thread back a year or so have not been fully incorporated in how you draw now, and I theorize it is because of lack of systematic attempts to 'upgrade' how you see things. You fall back to past concepts of how you should draw, ones not very well founded. Namely here, you've avoided how necks work, how ahead connects to a neck, what is the size of the neck, and furthermore, how the fabric should hug the neck and chest area. My edit below is not a c64 hi-res edit, as the 'tricks' with which you'll incorporate the advice, I'm pretty certain will come to you as you try them.

When a person tilts their head back, in order to support it, the two side tendons around the carotid naturally flare. This is an important visual clue you should give to your piece because when one sees the flared neck they can tell the person is leaning back. In your version it seems like she's a bobblehead instead.

And this is something you'd really have to deal with, because otherwise the piece is really beautiful.

I made vartious other suggestions and alterations in the image, I'm sure most of them make sense just by looking at them, but if something doesn't, ask and I will expound.

I'm pretty confident most of the stuff I suggest here can be pullzed off, with a measure of abstraction, in hi-res. Challenge yourself more.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:55:27 pm
thanks for stretching the helping hand, I'm very grateful!

the bobble-head neck problem: now it seems almost obvious, I've spotted it immediately when I saw the piece after a few hours of not looking at it; but would probably don't know what to do with/how to approach it if not your edit, Helm. yeah, I've kind of neglected my neck studies since the Razor piece; and here I wanted to finish it off as quick as possible just to see how the general outcome comes along. of what I've figured out, i guess treating the neck form as a couple of cylindrical shapes one in another solves the problem, at least superficially.

also EyeCraft, you was right about the tones, thanks for pointing that out : originally I wanted the girl to be of African descent (as here in the first approach), but kind of changed my mind during the process; now she's back again. I will be also tweaking the background a little bit, need something more expressive now. plus improved hair of course.

is it any better now?

e: oh, now I see what you were saying about the fabric. will play with it a little more then.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:57:33 pm by johnnyspade »
sexual content, click at your own risk! https://www.facebook.com/szumprodukcje /also known as skurwy

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 05:27:34 pm
I think the neck's great now.

I want you to consider the idea of that huge highlight on the hair. I can't direct you either way, but take a moment's look at what it evokes for you if it's a small and subtle highlight and how it works asd a huge highlight, and make your choice.

Likewise on the new swirling background. Consider the implications of 'move movement' versus 'more stillness' and see what you want to to emotionally to the viewer. Give us a story using visual clues, not just interesting stuff to look at.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:39:14 pm
sure thing, but dunno about the emotion, whether it carries any. the static background was too. . . static, I was playing with those swirling shapes, at some point it looked like a whirlwind, autumn wind, then with another even more formal design (Escher-inspired), but finished with that:

I think it's the time to call it a day anyway. thank you, you were of great help here!

http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/47037.htm if anyone's interested. will update the thread/page when I'm done all the errors (still has some).

e: done.

http://stuckinthe90s.eu/pixels/fallgal2.prg

ps: can anyone take a picture of it launched on C64? I would really appreciate it!
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:30:27 pm by johnnyspade »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:40:21 pm
Looks nice on the real thing  :y:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 11:48:25 pm by ptoing »
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 06:12:53 am
Wow! This is superb.

Offline skw

• Stuck in the Nineties.
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 09:31:21 am
hah, thanks a lot! the tv picture rocks! :)

i might do something with the blue chunks on the right side of her hair line (our left).