AuthorTopic: Hexagonal Animated Water Tile  (Read 15821 times)

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Re: Hexagonal Animated Water Tile

Reply #20 on: October 14, 2009, 03:22:39 pm
Yeah, that's pretty awesome! I agree that a more subtle version of what you got going on would be appropriate. While you're fixing that up, you may notice that the bottom left edge of the water has a very stark jump from when the wave switches to a peak from its lowest point.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #21 on: October 14, 2009, 06:08:19 pm
=O wow that works really really well Zogs...I dont think u need anything else to make this seem like awesome water....but I'll still post my edit in case you WANT to anyway :p

My idea with posting Fool's tile is that you looked at the way he did translucency and the botton of the sea.

...as I didnt make myself clear I made an edit

You copy all of the shading of the top of the water, *you invert the order of the ramp*(Actually dont invert it, looked at some ref and I was wrong), you take out the wavyness of the edges  and you paste that to the botton.Then of course you match the lightness of each connecting side of the tile to what corresponds to each of it's walls, to communicate that it's sliced water.

With that you have some basic sense of what the botton should look like, but then you're still missing  showing the mass of water that is between the botton and the top, so you want to do a gradient that goes from to completely dark at the top, to completely lit at the botton.I did that through redrawing the tile, but since (if I remember right) you work with photoshop maybe you can just apply an actual gradient :p

EDIT: took out some Irrelevant stuff I said because I found it was wrong.....suffice to say my edit isnt entirely correct, you dont have to invert the order of the ramp...you can actually use the same waves you have only darkened and making the highlights more defined and contrasted....
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:13:00 pm by Conceit »

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #22 on: October 14, 2009, 06:43:25 pm
Mmm.. interesting idea there Conceit... the edit makes your description far more obvious - thanks. I might try adding something like that to the next (less swooshy one) I try. Though that's not going to be until tomorrow probably.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #23 on: October 15, 2009, 01:55:59 am
Yes! This is what I was trying to say when talking about the plastic appearance of the cross sections, but couldn't formalise the concepts. Conceit's edit is just what I was getting at!

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: October 15, 2009, 09:14:08 pm
I'd just like to say I could stare at that animation for hours, Zoggles, very entrancing.
The seas should probably be a little calmer though.