AuthorTopic: Hexagonal Animated Water Tile  (Read 15688 times)

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Re: Hexagonal Animated Water Tile

Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 03:09:17 am
May I just chime in to state the obvious and say
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/29178.htm
Fool did it best?
uhm.....yeah, I think you should go for the sliced water aproach...and do an actual botton made of dirt and rocks. You animate your waves...however you like (up the contrast tho) and then apply that as a lighting mask to the botton...it's gonna look much more natural.

The cascading stuff doesnt sound bad...but it sounds like it'd be messy to do it right...but maybe...who knows?

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 04:37:56 pm
Conceit: Yeah, a very nice iso piece.. though the water is not animated nor tileable. Still it is very nicely done and gives off great ambiance in the piece.

Anyhow I've had some FTP connection problems the last day or so but have just managed to get it working again and have uploaded my recent progress on a completely different style.

There is a bit of a bump in the animation currently.. one frame needs to be smoothed out somewhat, however. Opinions would be greatly appreciated :)

First one (re-post to reduce the need for scrolling)

Newer W.I.P.

-Z-

*Edit: Updated to smooth out the bump in the animation slightly.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 05:13:42 pm by Zoggles »

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 01:12:09 am
Oh man, miles better!  :y:

One issue that immediately jumps out to me though is it looks like blocks of plastic on the sides. Water is translucent, so you shouldnt get such starkly defined edges like that on the sides; the light should filter through to the shaded side.

The palette for the water feels out of place. Water reflects the light around it, which is generally the sky outdoors. The colour it has at the moment implies a stormy, overcast sky, but the grass implies bright midday sunshine. Something bluer I think would fit better.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:12 am
Heh was focusing so much on the actual animation and movement, I didn't really consider the palette before posting. However, you are very right about it being too stormy compared to the grass (which is also not finished though)

Updated.

As for the sides.. yeah. I still can't quite figure out what to do for them :(

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 05:09:22 am
Liking this a lot more, but I think the biggest problem I have with it is that it just doesn't have a very good flow. It animates wonderful, but it doesn't flow as though it is water; this is more noticeable on the edges. For example, the foremost edge of the water looks like it is jumping rather than waves flowing. It seems to work better on the diagonals of the tiles, however. I think it'd work very well if you made the edges flow with a nice steady pattern/sync, that way when you tile them the water actually flows around the whole body of water.

I wouldn't fret about the sides, though. But if you're that worried maybe light streaks or something? There's not much you can do with that small of a cut-out of water to portray what's underneath.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 05:11:28 am by Dusty »

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 06:15:00 am
Yeah. The more I look at it, the more I agree with you.

I think I've made this new one in a back-to-front method really. I should have first started to define the movement at the edges and the general ebb-and-flow momentum and then added the animation of the waves to that. However, I started with the waves effect, and then tried to add in the extra edge animation.

Still.. I'm not entirely convinced by this re-design when in the game at the moment. Think I might be looking for a third option though with some similarities of both previous ones.

-Z-

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 08:43:06 am
I really don't like those moving edges, they give this a very strange feel.

I love the improvement on the water itself, but you might be better off with non moving edges, or less moving edges. make larger parts of the edges move at the same time maybe.

And about the sides, you can also decide to not have any harsh edges and round the edges of into just darker versions of the top part of the tile...

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #17 on: October 14, 2009, 09:22:37 am
Well.. this was a reworking, focusing on the edges first and getting a steady 'water swooshing around' kind of feel to each tile, and making sure that the 'swooshes' matched up between tiles. From there I just added some simple dithering for the surface effect.

As it stands, the movement is even greater now, but it is at least smoother and more fluid.

Given lollige's recent comment, and the actual scale involved in these tiles, the 'swooshing' really is way O.T.T. However, I found the latest version far quicker to create. (though I've just noticed a slight looping-jump which I will fix a.s.a.p)

-Z-
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 09:24:18 am by Zoggles »

Offline lollige

• MrLollige
    • View Profile
    • MrLollige blog

Reply #18 on: October 14, 2009, 09:53:51 am
There is a jump indeed, but thisone is great!

I like the new flow, if you could do this with the same size of the waves in length, but a lot shorther in height, that would be great I think!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 14, 2009, 01:47:34 pm
Heh, that's a lot smoother, but at the same way extreme. I dunno if that would be distracting or not during gameplay. It'd be nice to see something a little more calm :)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:56:15 pm by Dusty »