AuthorTopic: Solitary Confinement  (Read 4250 times)

Offline Photocopier

• View Profile

Solitary Confinement

on: September 27, 2010, 08:37:03 pm
Inspired by this wonderful piece by coffee: http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=10989.0
Lizzrd and I Have been working on this collaborative piece:

It's not finished yet but we'd like to hear any criticism and advice you guys have.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Solitary Confinement

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 05:52:58 pm
Looks nice overall, but the 45 degree ropes look a bit odd and the selout on the wood looks seriously bad.

Gonna aa the trees and such?
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Rydin

• ...zzzt...
    • @thickDumps
    • View Profile
    • thickDumps

Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 07:32:37 pm
It's very strange that just the single 'tube' of light is all the light that is coming through the leaves.  Must be a thick canopy.

Notice the way the light 'beams' split based on silhouettes that block the light.

I would actually bring the opening at the top of the closest trees together, and then have not the single light 'tube,' but a series of shafts in various directions, being scattered by the leaves and branches in the way.

Cool though.  :y:
Man cannot remake himself without suffering for he is both the marble and the sculptor.

Offline CrazyMLC

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 01:01:41 pm
Everything in the image just looks so good! The hut, the trees, the swing, the tree trunk...

But in the end, I think it only detracts from the image.
What's the focus? what should I be looking at?

The hut is pretty, shiny, and has lots of details... maybe that's the focus?
But, then, the swing really attracts my attention.

I think this happens a lot in collabs.
It seems like there wasn't a main idea agreed upon, and everyone went off and added in their own little awesome details.
There's a lack of focus.

Here's my take on it:

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:44:27 am
Oi oi!

wow, I actually inspired someone  ;D

I like the picture overall but there are a few things I would like to comment on.

First of all, I made this edit:

Very simple edit, I tried to clean the picture up as much as possible. There are a lot of things going on atm. and it really ruins the feeling of it, especially when u put to many objects or action in the sky, when the main focus really is down at the bottom. As ptoing said, the cellout of the wood and the huts is really bad and I would suggest you either do something simple with just two colour or one, like CrazyMLC's edit. with the additional lightsource being just a hint in the dark of the woods. I would also erase the middle swing/lift, distracts the flow of light too much and I would rather put more effort in getting more huts on the sides.

Hope my edit helps u 2 out a bit!

gl and keep the work up
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:06:12 am by coffee »

Offline Platypotter

• I'm all revved up!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:28:50 am
Yeah i was actually thinking about multiple rays of light when i saw this peice. Here's my edit:

Other than the lonely beam of light, this peice was absolutely wonderful.  ;D

The use of the "line" element helps bring your eyes around the rest of the peice.
In which case, you may have to pay a bit more attention to detail, But using these
extra rays of light not only bring balance to your peice, they also make the viewer look!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 12:30:40 am by Platypotter »