AuthorTopic: [WIP] Cyberpunk Menu: Muscular System  (Read 13841 times)

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

[WIP] Cyberpunk Menu: Muscular System

on: October 05, 2009, 07:02:55 pm
This is a menu I'm working on for a cyberpunk game. The idea is this, you can install various gear into your brain (wetware.) This menu shows you which ones you have equipped, and where: head, arm, etc.

I wanted to try to use a cool palette, as well as practice anatomy and volume. I would like feedback on these things as well as menu design which is still very wip.

Ref:
http://surgicaltechstudents.com/web_images/muscles_human_body_front.jpg

Most recent:
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 11:19:51 pm by Corinthian Baby »

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] Cyberpunk Menu: Muscular System

Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:51:22 am
Hey, cool idea.

You're focusing too much on the individual forms of muscles, and not on the total form of the body that they create together:

If its cyberpunk, I say make it a little darker, grungier. Kind of noir, in a sense.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:18:26 am
That's a good edit, and I see the point you are making about the muscles coming together. However, imagine removing the epidermic layer. This is specifically the muscular system so you would see the muscles somewhat separated. I tried to make it a more muscley style.

I'll get to the BG once I finish the main figure.

Small update:
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:50:36 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Pixelized

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:41:45 am
I like it quite a bit but there are some issues that I can see. Now I am no expert but the anatomy seems... off. The head bothers me a little, i think most of it is the ear. The ear seems a little to low and looks as though it is coming out of the neck... not sure if that is the problem or not. The face also bothers me a little. I think its the far side of the face on the other side of the nose... it seems squished forward a little more than it should be. Also the legs seem to bend to the right (his left) which seems very uncomfortable and unnatural. I think they could be straight without changing the feeling of the art.

Nice job on the muscle structure though. Wouldn't want to meet him in a dark ally :P

Oh and you may want to take everything I say with a grain of salt because as i said I am no expert... I'm barely a novice lol :D

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 06:21:53 am
That's a good edit, and I see the point you are making about the muscles coming together. However, imagine removing the epidermic layer. This is specifically the muscular system so you would see the muscles somewhat separated. I tried to make it a more muscley style.
Yeah, I figured that was what you were going for when I reread the thread. Still, even if you remove the skin, you'll still have compound volumes, just with slightly more definition. I was hoping my edit could give you some direction on the nature of those volumes.

Your updates are cleaner, and communicate the concept of muscles better, but still reads as fairly flat overall, to me.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 03:57:19 pm
It's almost as if he's rolled over by a steam roller. All the individual muscles are shaded, but the whole contains no volume. Does that make sense?

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 08, 2009, 05:41:13 pm
Yeah that makes sense. I'm trying to correct the volumes, based it a bit more closely on eyecraft's edit. Mainly changed his head, neck, and a bit of his right chest/arm.

I'll post an update as I start to redux the chest muscles more.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 03:16:34 am
His head is mis-shapen. Or it's too big for his body. Not sure what it is . . . but it's something. The UI is horrible at the moment, I'll like to see how it shapes up. Search for a better more creative way to present it. How about grimy techy machines surrounding him, acting as "mounts" for each of the different nodes/leaders labeling his parts. Step it up.

*EDIT  something along these lines
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:00:55 pm by Mathias »

Offline Corinthian Baby

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 09, 2009, 04:22:40 am
Worked on his chest and upper body a bit more. I think it really is becoming more 3-dimensional, even if some of the colors are a little redundant. I think his head may be too big, don't feel like scaling it atm. I'll start thinking of alternate UI. I do want to keep it relatively simple though, readability is key for this sort of thing so the player doesn't get disoriented.

Also, any ideas for backgrounds? I'm thinking of doing some grungy/scanlined stuff.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 05:04:57 am by Corinthian Baby »

Offline EyeCraft

• View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 11:26:52 am
Some grimy, rusty pipes, lots of darkness, a few dull lights that are unusual colours, some robotic arms/graspers, some screens. Any kind of tech you put in should be advanced but worn down and badly maintained, imo. That's the angle I usually think when I think cyberpunk. Also, for the background use warm hues to pop the figure (and to help push a dirty atmosphere).