AuthorTopic: Elephant Rider [WIP]  (Read 7886 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Elephant Rider [WIP]

on: October 05, 2009, 05:59:13 pm
Some time ago I drew a doodle on drawr which I then recently decided to turn into pixelart, aiming for an endresult with 64 colours.

Click to see the original base image (warning: elephant balls)

This base I scaled down to 240x320 removed all the thusly generated aa and reduced it to around 25ish colours and then went from there.
Now I am here:

I been showing this to a few people, some of which gave nice crits (Arachne most notably).
She also suggested to post it on Pix and since I have not made a topic for critage I thought, why not, can't hurt.

Atm I am at 48 colours I think, so 16 left to spend. Seeing as I covered most of the stuff I need I reckon I can invest some in the end to smooth out some stuff for example, we will see.
So anyway, I would love crits for this, no matter how nitpicky, but please keep in mind that many things are VERY WIP here (most parts of the background for example)

I am working on this right now, so I will likely post updates in the course of the next few hours.

Anyway, shoot :D

There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Sampe

• View Profile

Re: Elephant Rider [WIP]

Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 06:41:22 pm
Well, for me, the shadow under the elephant is just too bluish. I'd like to see it a little more greyish. : D And is the tusk farther back a little too long? As the elephant hasn't turned in any direction.
These are my nitpicks.

Offline Reo

• aka MechaBarbarian
    • MechaBarbarian
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/11318.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 07:01:58 pm
wonderful work as usual Ptoing! ;D
I asume the legs are very much WIP, because they look like very bland  and boring cylinders atm.
I also have to  say that I prefer the ear in the Drawr version, but this is splendid noon the less!  :y:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 09:37:11 pm
(Wow, I was just thinking yesterday, while repaying nature no less - as good a time to think as any, that it seems like the highly experienced, looked-up-to citizens of Pixelation never post WIP for crit as they develop it. I hastily decided that these must not see the benefits of doing so. Glad you shot that down. There's no better way for the leaders of this community to participate and get down in the trenches than to submit work in this thread and work alongside the lowliest.)

Very cool. Nice fresh appearance. Stylized elephants are rare subject matter. Gives a surreal impression. Can't help but evoke some Dali. Composition is simple and nice - Thought of the effect some close foreground detail might have, such as foliage making us feel like we're spying on him from the bushes?. Palette is attractive so far. I'm eager to see how you'll manage 64 colors in the end.

Elephant. I think I like the original human ear better, though it's a little freakish. If you keep the metal one you might enlarge it some, perhaps angle it out, I didn't read it as an ear at first, though now it's obvious to me. That chunky eyebrow will bug me until you bring the rest of the elephant up to the same level of chunkiness - all too smooth, then you got this big ol' chunky thing there. The eye seems like a normal human eye, which I like.
On it's physical construction - is it robot or cyborg? Most probably don't, but I usually, even if the thing in question is completely made up, try to imagine how it's built in real life and what it's really made out of before drawing it, so that the way I draw it makes sense and has consistency, that's the idea anyway. I'm guessing it's robotic with partial blended in organic parts, like the eye.
Not sure about the overall anatomy of the elephant, the legs don't seem quite right. Must just be their exaggerated length. Back legs should catch more light on sides if cylindrical. Feet on ground bend/skew to stay flat against the plane of the ground as the leg they're connected to angles implying they're soft and fleshy despite the elephant being metallic, when feet in air look rigidly fixed at 90 degrees, making me think functioning joints are missing. I love the smooth simple bulbous shape overall. Trunk is very long. Will you keep him curvy and smooth or more like the eyebrow and give him more of an angualar look, in which case you might segment the trunk like tank treads at acheive curvature.

Environment. I think this may call for a more detailed bg, why not? Simple ones are always nice, but why not build up a more convincing world? Give it some wonder. The dual moons does a good job establishing it's an alien world, along with the other-worldy yellowy ambiance. You might strive for less earthly clouds. Though, I don't think anyone can really complain with where the bg is currently, it works.

I wonder if you could give the elephant and rider similar physical traits that would make them seem more related or is the contrast of being totally different more interesting to view? Right now, they easily seem a part of the same world, at least.

Right now, the elephant doesn't seem like an intended mount, instead just giving a young denizen a ride playing around. Difference being whether the character on top is meant as some elephant trainer/professional/expert on his pet, or just some character that's momentarilty messing around hithcing a ride on an animal. thoughts - saddle, tac, reigns, food/incentive on a fishing pole with elphant eye looking right at the object on end of pole string, etc.

--Forgot to mention, much of my post I assume contains issues that exist only due to your pics very WIPyness, but they're thoughts that occurred nonetheless--
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:41:58 pm by Mathias »

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:05:49 pm
Small update, mostly on the right cloud.

Cheers, for the replies.

I reigned the shadowcolour in a bit and fixed the back tust, might need more tweaking.

Mathias:
Some very good points. I don't think I will make the background much more complicated. I like the feel of it being an open wasteland, no bushes and such.
The legs are a part which I seriously hate atm, they are too bandy and ugh in general. I am thinking of totally redoing them, not sure how tho at this point.
The elephant is meant to be some kind of mix between mechanical and biological. A bio-mechanoid so to speak.

As far as the colours go I have still 16 to burn and have some which are not a lot used (red and green of the eye) so I was actually thinking of giving the elephant some stuff to carry, like putting some ropes around him and fixing some flasks and boxes to it or something along those line. A saddle probably would be a nice idea as well. I also like the idea of angeling the ear outward a bit, I have to play with that.

Cheers, for the input.

Offline Zoggles

• Conjuring stuff
    • View Profile
    • Mini Wizard Studios

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 11:02:18 pm

I love how you've got such a bright yellow for the background and yet it stays right back there and enhances the foreground. The subtle moons above the clouds are a very nice addition.

I'll agree with the other comments about the legs, the back one shows a good start at one option for what they may become. Also, I think it really needs that ear to be sticking out, possibly even a little longer/larger than you currently have it from a balance p.o.v.

You've added some texture work to a couple of the plates but not all. Is this something you are still deciding over doing or not doing?

My main two issues though are, 1) The shadow of the rider at the top seems a little bit too heavy (and incidentally his foot casts no shadow currently) and 2) the banded 'gradient' effect at the rear keeps drawing my eye away from the rest. It sort of awkwardly sticks out at me.

-Z-

Sorry if I don't seem to ever comment on your posts, but anything hosted on imageshack or most image hosting web sites is blocked from China. If I can't see it I can't therefore comment on it :(

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 11:24:40 pm
HOLY SHIT!! Zoggles :o Long time no see. Would be nice if you would stick around  :)

Last update for today, it's getting late here.

As for your points about the banding and such, I plan to add texture to the whole thing so that there wont be obvious banding in the end.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 01:16:47 am
this is fantastic Ptoing, I always love to see your stuff. The colours in this are great.
Anyways I think you should shorten his upper back right leg. Something looks really weird to me where his body is in contact with the pillow but I'm not sure what it is, I think the dark red is too dark or something. Either that or maybe a bit of darker shadow around where he is in contact.

Offline balls01

• 사랑
    • View Profile
    • Balls Art

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 04:49:44 am
you removed the balls  :'(

and thanks mathias for saying it all i cant think of anything that he hasnt said

your choice of color, is your voice of color
BallsArt

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2009, 08:32:34 am
Interesting, I thought of Dali too, but not so much in the original drawr picture. Probably because of the background in the pixel version, which alters the composition the most (letting the elephant breath).
Some more thoughts of mine:

* The picture currently works I think, but it would benefit if it had a deeper story-telling. You wrote the elephant is a robot/organic-hybrid, but I think it needs more personality. To increase the story aspect, you could let the elephant interact with the guy more, letting the eye stare at him or making a strange smile or doing something with the trunk or something else.

* Because of the coiled tail, the huge eye and the not fitting legs the elephant looks more like a cameleon to me. It's not really a crit, but more an inspiration what you could do else with the elephant. Currently it looks a bit out of balance, the trunk is too heavy to be balanced by the small tail.

* I think the clouds are too dark. I put your picture in ProMotion and made the clouds one step lighter and thought it looks better composition-wise.

Nice progess so far, I really looking forward to the finished picture.

Btw: Zoggles? I think Ptoing should post more often to resurrect old people ;)