AuthorTopic: Zelda like job.  (Read 4351 times)

Offline ZoSo

• View Profile

Zelda like job.

on: October 03, 2009, 01:42:34 pm
Been like a year since a even tried pixeling anything..
Im currently doing a payed job.. where i have to pixel Zelda-styled tiles, they didnt want them to look exactly like Zelda.. he just wanted that shape on the tree's and houses. The rest was up to me.

Any crits would be nice.

Offline mambazo

• View Profile

Re: Zelda like job.

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 03:42:07 pm
The trees are very symmetrical. Especially on the tree-stump. This also gives the effect that the light source is coming directly from above which looks odd to me.

The transition between the grass and the dirt is nice :)

The dirt is done well, perhaps a little more depth/contrast is needed though? This could also be the lack of 'features' in the dirt, maybe with some pebbles or grass tufts you wont need to alter the depth/contrast here.

The grass tiles very well (no repeating patterns, the grid is eliminated!), but it seems to lack that grassy feeling. Is it a freshly cut lawn?

I hope I didn't shoot the plane down!  :lol:

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 04:34:00 pm
why'd you make a black frame with black shadow?

Aside from that, I agree with the post above mine.

Additionally, the tree has no actual round natural shape, but a strict constructed geometrical one as if it was some kind of lowpoly wireframe!

According to the treestump, the tree must be very fat in x and thin in y, you should also fix that, because that's not how the Zelda perspective works :)

Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2009, 04:40:32 pm
In addition to some of those problems, the individual leaves on the trees don't pop very much, making the tree canopy itself, look very flat and smooshed.

The grass itself, looks lovely, and I don't really think you should touch it! Instead, take a note from SD3, and add a separate layer of tile-able tall grass.

The path does look very nice, I like the colors, but I feel just a wee bit more contrast could be used to establish the darker areas/cracks in the path from the lighter areas.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 02:58:04 pm
tree stump and foliage are in two different perspectives :O
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Doppleganger

• Fall!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 06:06:44 pm
This sounds very familiar to a job I took up some odd years ago. The job was thru a guy whose aim name was Haze of time. I doubt that it's the same person, but if it is, I suggest you don't deal with him. As he is an entirely unprofessional individual. I definitely got paid, but it wasn't worth the numerous headaches. He has periodically messaged me on aim over the years, to further frustrate me and consume my time.

As for CnC, Adarias is right. To further expand on that, the grass and dirt is also in a different perspective. Right now it is completely top-down. Make at least one side of the grass cast a shadow to correct this. I'd also try and incorporate some more dynamic color ramps. The shapes of the trees and trunks are lost due to the over-saturated, monochrome palettes being used.

edit: contrast too!

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 07:08:13 am
That outrageously stylized tree shape worked ok in zelda because it was so plain, cartoony and abstract, but if you take the same tree shape and actually make it realistic by drawing every single leaf.. well let's say I wouldn't want to try to pull that off. I don't think that tree shape goes together very well with an otherwise realistic execution.

But if your customer wants Zelda-styled graphs, the options are pretty limited.