AuthorTopic: Wild Boar animation help needed  (Read 4271 times)

Offline mushy

• View Profile

Wild Boar animation help needed

on: September 24, 2009, 03:24:22 pm
Hi everybody, I've just started to discover pixel art world and stumbled over lack of drawing skills. So instead of walking my wild boar twitches crookedly.

Here are the frames

Have any ideas how to make it's legs look more natural?

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Re: Wild Boar animation help needed

Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 05:11:53 pm
A few things hit me right off;
First, is that it can be difficult to make a convincing walk with so few frames.
Second, is that your boar changes colors from frame to frame. The first is slightly darker than the second.
Third, he is moving each sides' legs in the same direction. Quadrapeds, or however it is spelled, move the front left and back right in nearly the same motion. Ditto with the front right and back left. I looked up a video to be certain with the boar.
Last, it is looking pillow-shaded. You will want to define your light source, and shade accordingly.

I decided I would do a quick edit just to help you out a little. When I opened up the frames I also noticed a few colors that could be considered extra, as the difference between them was not even noticeable. I made a few quick changes based on the statements above. Removed some colors, added 2 frames, changed his legs, and gave him a little bounce to his step.

I pretty much left the shading alone, and the legs are blocky because as I said, this was just something quick to help you along. Hope it helps.
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
http://snowsoft.wordpress.com/

Offline mushy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 11:05:01 pm
Wow, I've never expected such detailed and useful answer. Thank you, snowsoft, so much.  ::)
Here's the boar, fixed accordingly to your recommendations:

I realize it's imperfection, but at least it looks like walking :)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:24:29 am
The horn is protruding from the side of it's face, not from it's mouth as would be right . . . right? Snow has 3 frames, you still have 2. I've always considered 3 frames as a minimum for walking movement. Otherwise it just looks like toggling positions, and not continual movement. Our eyeballs need to be able to compare the previous to the current frame in order to cognize movement, and without 3 frames it just seems impossible to convey it right. Why not an additional frame?

Offline mushy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 01:05:47 am
There were 4 frames in that gif, actually, but seems like I made too short delay  :-[
Last version with a few pixels moved:

I neither pleased by the horn position, but my attempts of changing it were way more disastrous..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 01:11:39 am by mushy »

Offline Aelyrin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 02:28:12 am
Just shorten it so it's behind the snout, rather than beside the eye. :) I removed nine pixels of the horn and it looks fine. I can't make an animated edit as I have no animation software, but I can post a still edit to show you what I mean.

Offline mushy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 03:51:35 am
Thank you, Aelyrin, by your advice I'm completely satisfied with my boar :)
Here it is:

And already plays it's role in the game! :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 03:56:13 am by mushy »