AuthorTopic: Choosing colors and pallettes  (Read 101322 times)

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Choosing colors and pallettes

Reply #40 on: October 15, 2006, 01:19:36 pm

Wow, that palette looks EXACTLY like the ones DA_13 was using all the time, are you him Crazy Asian Gamer?

Offline Takai Soyokaze

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: October 23, 2006, 01:53:40 am
Gil: That's impossible.

Offline pkmays

• dawn patrole mole
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: October 23, 2006, 02:59:27 am
I'd just like to add a little piece of trivia:

Using HSV sliders skips some RGB values.

Try it, you'll see.

It's pretty clear why when you think about it.

H range: 360
S range: 100
V range: 100

360 * 100 * 100 = 3,600,000

R range: 256
G range: 256
B range: 256

256 * 256 * 256 = 16,777,216

A difference of over thirteen million combinations!

And to quote this Wikipedia article:

In computer graphics, it is typical to represent each channel as an integer from 0 to 255 instead of a real number from 0 to 1. It is worth noting that when encoded in this way, every possible HSV color has an RGB equivalent. However, the inverse is not true. Certain RGB colors have no integer HSV representation. In fact, only 1/256th of the RGB colors are 'available' in HSV, effectively eliminating a single channel of control from the graphics artist.

By all means, use HSB to set up your colors. It's a lot easier and effective. Once you've got them set up the way you want with HSB, tweak the RBG settings to get the maximum range of color choices.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 03:01:44 am by pkmays »

Offline Peppermint Pig

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: October 24, 2006, 11:43:16 am
I'm mulling over posting something on color myself, but it's so entangled with other subjects that I might just wait. I'd at least agree here that HSB/HSL is the way to go for getting colors chosen. After that, use your knowledge of color to tweak the proper atmospherics and reasonable leaps of 'Hue+saturation' and Luminosity between colors. I have yet to really use rgb for choosing colors, but it's certainly a valuable resource.. much "asian" style work seems to gravitate more around RGB...

I think it's good to point out Helm's artistic development.. his colors are, in my mind, more grimy/mature (bitmap brothers and demoscene inspired), as opposed to the stuff seen in games like phantom brave (where dithering is very uncommon, probably as a preference in workflow) where works appear very pristine; 'watercolory' work (also rgb oriented)...  Which is really a matter of taste. Color palettes which have multiple ramps to bridge between two or more colors are more suited to dithering (more like demoscene), whereas..... what I'd call the 'korean' style of color work, interestingly enough, seems to be more fixed-palette based than anything else (basically 'tested' colors that one need not focus on so work can be done faster), and they seem to lean towards RGB color selection.

When I find the time, I'll do a proper paper on this with examples.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #44 on: October 24, 2006, 01:24:37 pm
Thank you. And this sounds interesting, when you can, please follow up to your last post.

instant

Reply #45 on: October 24, 2006, 08:06:31 pm
Since questions are being asked, I'd like to know how some of you go about spriting rpg sprite bases of (32/48 X 64 PX)
while keeping proportions and animating them.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #46 on: November 10, 2006, 07:54:25 pm
when I read pep's post, I keep wondering why he thinks "Korean" style focuses on choosing with RGB, while at the same time he says they use prefixed palletes.....if their colors are so set in stone, why'd he thinkt hat they're chosen with the most cumbersome of the sliders

WHY PEP WHY? :p.......

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #47 on: November 10, 2006, 10:30:07 pm
By all means, use HSB to set up your colors. It's a lot easier and effective. Once you've got them set up the way you want with HSB, tweak the RBG settings to get the maximum range of color choices.
3.6 million is still far more range than you need for pixel art.
http://r0k.us/graphics/png16.html
Png16 is a HSV-based format, and it provides 60,480 colors in total, which are arranged to be the most significant colors, as you can see here:
http://r0k.us/graphics/SIHwheel.html

I consider it quite a good colorspace for pixel art color selection.
From my experiments, I have concluded that appropriate colorspace size is usually > 12bit (4096 color, non-AGA Amiga RGB colorspace) and < 18bit (262144 color, PC VGA RGB colorspace). If I had to pick one number, I would pick 15bit(32768 colors, SNES RGB colorspace)

Conceit: It's not so horrific when the sliders show what colors particular values will produce what colors.

Has anyone had experience with L*a*b color selection? It is the most reliable of the colorspaces, but my experiments with it suggest it's tricky to select colors from.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #48 on: November 10, 2006, 11:19:54 pm
Has anyone had experience with L*a*b color selection? It is the most reliable of the colorspaces, but my experiments with it suggest it's tricky to select colors from.
I use lab color selection for all my pixel art. I find it alot easier and effecient to use.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #49 on: November 11, 2006, 10:13:53 pm
um...for the uneducated, what is L.A.B? lightness abercombies and bifurcation.....c.c?