AuthorTopic: [WIP] walknight  (Read 10312 times)

Offline philipptr

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] walknight

Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 08:49:47 am
What looks strange about the colourramp is that you shift to a certain hue and then change direction. You start at 243° (at the brightest part) and shift to 236° (the saturated blue), which is a shift from a colder highlight to a warmer shadow, which is not that common but can work. Then you shift back to 312°.
Here is a little edit that has a more straight forward ramp:

This is not the way it has to be done, I just wanted to show this as an option ;) Also as the ramp in the edit still crosses 240° its still perceived as being warmer in the darker regions.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Re: [WIP] Knight of Immobility

Reply #11 on: September 22, 2009, 05:46:08 pm
Thanks for the comments guys! I think I addressed most of the issues. I'm just doing this sprite to refresh some of what I know so that I don't lose my skills. I might make a mock up or something though. As for Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors I've surprisingly never heard of this. It looks hilariously bad though.

I'm wondering if there is a guide or formula for picking a colour ramp? I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the degrees, is that the supposed temperature of the colour and how can I find out what the temperatures are if so?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 22, 2009, 10:14:00 pm
Holla. Looking good. You fixed anything I saw as "wrong" with him, even the stance angle. And it looks like you're embellishing with some distressed details - sword knicked, right? I'd recommend carrying over some light damage indication to the armor, too. I love the chainmail texture; great little detail, and not overlooking the vent holes in the bottom half of the helmet either. Those speculars worked out well, which I'm sure you would've added sooner or later.

It would create a less cartoony style, which may be bad considering your design is cartoonish-based, but I wonder if some ramp mixing is possible here, for color homogenization.

This is one of those sprites you want to see animate, come to life.

I think philipptr is simply referring to a radial color picker, where the angle basically translates to a hue value. Notice the color picker on right, see the angle field towards bottom right? :

« Last Edit: September 22, 2009, 10:17:28 pm by Mathias »

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 03:01:25 pm
He seems to be missing a specular shine on the helmet. Nice work though.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 09:06:35 pm
You can find some advanced analysis of hue ramps in this thread:

http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?topic=1025.0

Non-linear hue progressions are not bad really and can give something a very different mood.

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 06:57:49 pm
Thanks Gil, I got to read a bit of it but apparently, the images from goats posts have been removed.

I started an animation of him doing a sword slash, ignore a lot of the mess I haven't cleaned a lot of it up yet. I've only set up an idea of how he is going to move. I need to add some flow to his hair as well. Also I've been struggling to make the shine on the top of his helmet look any good lol.

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 30, 2009, 10:35:17 pm
umm, thats a pretty weird slash. its just an odd motion, almost more like a taunt than an attack

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 02:12:45 am
Could you elaborate better, I can't really see it as a taunt. Though that's completely not the idea I'm going for so I would like to try and quell it

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 03:06:01 am
Not enough anticipation/windup in the animation. It looks like he's quickly pointing his sword to the heavens, rather than making a chopping motion.

Offline mrToad

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 04:20:29 pm
I don't think the animation is bad. Perhaps it like a quick defensive move, reacting to some attack. You could do another kind of swing for a more aggressive attack.