AuthorTopic: Bart.  (Read 5440 times)

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Bart.

on: August 12, 2005, 10:38:32 am
Reference: http://photos1.blogger.com/img/216/2322/640/bart.jpg (which was just for lines not colour)

15 colours last time i checked, not happy with the colour

Greyscale avatar i done of it

2nd pixel art.

c+c please?

-jamie

Offline BeL

• how handy!
    • View Profile

Re: Bart.

Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 09:57:21 pm
Hello!

My main crit is that 13 colors are waayy too much for a pixelation of this size (and especially one that has only yellow as its base color)

Here's a small edit to show you what I mean:

Yours 13c: Mine 6c:

my edit is not very good and since I used half the colors the palette will need tweaking etc, but I want to show you that the difference is not all that great.

The B&W looks good although it's a bit dark.

Hope I helped.
BeL

Offline Omenith

• View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 10:24:49 pm
Hey Jamie,

It's the famous Bart alright.

Hmm, yeah, I'd have to agree with Bel on his critique. Usually flattening stuff out will save alot of time and remove unecessary colors. Trust in your lines and let it suggest the shape instead of trying to build it with shades.

Also, in doing AA, there is such thing as too much AA! One could probably AA forever if given the motivation (you know.. AA your existing AA then another layer..). I usually try to use a minimum of colors to AA and the golden rule "If it doesn't make a difference (100% no zoom), don't do it."

As for the fixing the color: Maybe you could try using more variations of hue or trying a more saturated approach so it matches the cartoon. Right now, its kind of caught between realism and cartoony.

Lastly, don't forget about reflected light! Especially the grayscale version. (This is only applied if you're sticking to the realistic lighting approach) :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2005, 10:26:26 pm by Omenith »

Offline Johnny Vandal

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 10:46:37 am
i agree on the colors, and the visual was a ncie example. i like the greyscale but the background on it coul be a tad lighter so that it doesnt look so dark all over and unseeable. i also like your not so defined outline of it being darker where it should be and lighter where it hsould be.

hope that made sense

Offline Jamie

• ^ needs updated ^
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 09:54:48 pm
thanks for the replys

@bel thanks for the edit, wow looks totally the same only colour loss amazing

the pallette does indeed need tweaking so-lou has a good simpson colour palette on her simpson pieices those would propaly be perfect but i wanna try for myself  :)

@Johnny Vandal - the whole avatar got dark when i saved it i have no idea why the colours were brighter befor i saved it

also dident quite get when you said 'also like your not so defined outline of it being darker where it should be and lighter where it hsould be.'

will make a edit hopefully tomorrow thanks for the crits and comments