AuthorTopic: Pixel app for Mobile Phones, programmer wanted! :D  (Read 16169 times)

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Pixel app for Mobile Phones, programmer wanted! :D

Reply #20 on: September 23, 2009, 04:13:35 pm
It'd have to have zoom, to be of any real use. (btw the pic in preview is 9x9 :D). Not all levels of zoom would be practical for work, tho.

If I uderstand correctly, we have 0-9, #, *, plus softkeys (OK and CANCEL) plus C. That's like 15 buttons. I'd use a pair (like softkeys or # and *).
Even if we don't/can't use all those buttons, there are ways to implement it in a usable manner. Let's say you press 0 for menu, and then you have 9 more functions readily available in a 3x3 grid. Two can be zoom in and out, the rest can be for those marker functions or draw/fill etc.

As for the canvas limit, we could go for 320x240 (or 240x320)  or something. 16 colors also sounds ok, tho I guess 32 is nice as well.
These limits should not be cast in stone, because it's very hard to tell in advance what would be practical. Also I guess phone memory can have an impact as well.
i

Offline Meko

• Pixla | Mobile sprite editor
    • View Profile
    • Pixla

Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 09:46:30 am
Hi there, I'm interested in undertaking this project. I'm writing a mobile web browser (Meko web browser), not sure if you've heard of it, but I think this would be an excellent side project. I'll make a Java mobile demo, it should be finished in a few days.
Contact me at jan.ramon.martin(at)gmail.com if you wanted to discuss it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 10:16:12 am by Meko »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 04:10:56 pm
I've got some lists of application states and proposed control changes lying around, shall I post them Meko? I'll go dig them up, been a bit busy lately.

Offline Meko

• View Profile
    • Pixla

Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 05:29:55 am
Sounds like a plan, I'll post the jar+jad links in a few hours.

Alright, it's not much, but it should scale to any size pretty well: http://www.tinychan.org/pixla/
« Last Edit: October 09, 2009, 10:55:27 am by Meko »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 02:21:50 pm
First off: great progress so far. The only thing I didn't like is that if you keep pressing a directional button, the cursor keeps moving rapidly, making it jump two squares at once sometimes when you press the key for slightly too long (this was in an emulator, going to try it on a phone later)

Here's the notes I made so far ([J] is four directional joystick):

Application states:
- Draw mode
- Palette mode
- Menu mode?

Draw mode
Tool states:
- 3 step marker, 1 step marker (marker state, as explained by Ilkke)
- pencil tool, fill tool (1 pixel selector, set to flood fill or fill-one-pixel, selector state)

Marker state:
1-9: place pixel on marker position in selected color
[J]: move marker in either 3 or 1 steps
0: Turn color selection on: choose palette row with 9, select color on row with (1->8)

Selector State:
1-8: place color with index of (1->8) on selected palette row on position of brush (or flood fill)
9: change palette row
[J]: move brush
0: switch between flood and pencil mode

Palette mode:

A screen for changing the palette (RGB, HSV, color wheel, that kind of stuff). Haven't got further info for that yet.

Extra notes:
- In terms of abstraction, color selection in selector state is the same as color selection in draw mode after pushing the "0" key
- I moved the keys around a bit, so now the left/right/OK buttons and stuff are free to use for other purposes. I propose that the OK button shows the menu and that the left button shows the palette mode. Right button could switch between draw and selector state, but the # key might be better for that

Is that helpful? It's a little more structured and thorough in terms of preparing to program it.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 01:23:11 pm by Gil »

Offline Meko

• View Profile
    • Pixla

Reply #25 on: October 10, 2009, 05:24:36 am
Heh, the limitations of mobile phones become very apparent when you start working on these kinds of applications. I've released an update, mostly compatibility. I'm also working on touch screen usability, should release the next build tommorow.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #26 on: October 10, 2009, 08:25:10 pm
Btw, just wanted to let you guys know that ilkke is on holiday atm, but he will be back in a bit less than 2 weeks. I am sure he will be very happy :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2009, 10:48:07 am
Heh, the limitations of mobile phones become very apparent when you start working on these kinds of applications. I've released an update, mostly compatibility. I'm also working on touch screen usability, should release the next build tommorow.

Hello Meko.

Great to see more people are intereswted in the project.
From the screenies on your site I see that you have not understood the editing method intended for the program. You move the 3x3 rectangle on the grid with your joystick, and use digits 1-9 to put a pixel on the respective place in the rectangle. This speeds up the process drastically.
I can write more detailed specs if you are interested.
i

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #28 on: October 26, 2009, 10:59:05 am
This is all very exciting  ;D

While I was in Egypt another person took up the idea and made a prototype. I corresponded with him via email but I was unaware of the events taking place on this thread.

It's still a very early prototype, but we've already realized that some of the controls need changing. I will post the new ideas here for public scruptiny, as soon as I get home from work. Also I will give Meko's prototype a whirl.
Gil, do you have a WIP to show?

It seems kinda funny that the program now has 3 branches, but I think it can only facilitate getting the controls right, since many things have to be tested out.

Does anyone have an idea of what would be the best way to get the images from the phone? Ideally they'd be saved into phone's system folders and then you could bluetooth them or whatever, but I understand access to these folders is actually not an option.

i

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #29 on: October 26, 2009, 03:48:33 pm
I ran into the same input problems probably, so you'll see that the documentation a few posts above has a different layout. I stopped the programming, because I saw Meko was doing something, but he kinda dissapeared. I'll restart the programming if you want, or I could help the work on the prototype your friend is doing. Both are fine by me.

I was also wondering about the file saving/loading, but it should be possible, as I run several apps on my phone that allow me to save/load. I don't know if they are MIDP, so I'll have to look into that. As far as prototyping goes, I also have some stuff made that would allow animation in a very basic crude way. I didn't post these yet though, since this would be an extra to add if the thing works.