AuthorTopic: [Slight WIP] Face  (Read 4257 times)

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

[Slight WIP] Face

on: September 12, 2009, 10:11:37 pm
Well.. a few days ago. I started a sorta self portrait.. and then got stuck because I'm lacking in skin colors with this.. Soo.. here is what I have sofar..

Yeah.. i think it overall got worst cause I tried to fix the eye and such.. and it just turned out bad.

help pl0x!

Offline Varish

• View Profile

Re: [Slight WIP] Face

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 12:33:42 am
I think you are concentrating too much on polishing it without getting the forms down first. Also, all the colors make it seem kinda blurred. I think the eye should be bigger, the nose is pretty undefined, and the mouth is too big.
I tried to make an edit. I didn't use a reference so it's basically my perception of what a face should look like versus yours, and it's prety crap. But, be that as it may, maybe you can get something from it.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 02:51:52 am
should of stated that the face is meant to appear like that.. since its the way I was smiling when i took the picture..

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:53:22 pm
the picture is blurry, but your face is still a bunch of geometric planes

try to interpret what you see as volumes not as symbols.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 08:18:05 pm
I tried to interpret it as volumes.. but most likely.. did it completely wrong, so it this what you sorta meant?

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 10:46:36 pm
*loves being able to understand what Helm said thanks to all the reading he's been doing*

Hi Atrophy. Looks like a big improvement to me.

The proportions seem off to me when compared to the photo, though. I think your hair is a tad taller (~ one and a half nose-bridge heights, from bridge), shading between the nose/cheek may be too gentle, worth a couple pixels less hair next to the eye on the right, and your chin perhaps should be a little shorter (not the same length as your nose to bridge) and the cleft less emphasized.

That's at a glance, anyway - compared not to Helm's edit but the original photo, you've elongated your face & caricaturized your chin.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:00:22 pm by Scribblette »
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:11:00 am
Thanks Scribblette. I understand the hair. But currently.. it's the least of my worries.. I wanna make sure the face is smooth and flows well yet still keep a semi realistic look. But it is noted.

I believe I'm headed in the right direction on smoothing it out a bit. and with the colors.. I hope.

Offline Atrophy

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 05:14:41 pm
well.. work and social life have kept me busy.. but while waiting to go to this stupid wedding today.. I got around to finishing it up for the most part.

Edit:
When I look at it in the forum.. the dithering looks REALLY noticeable.. when in GG it doesn't?