AuthorTopic: PI battle sprites  (Read 4892 times)

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

PI battle sprites

on: September 12, 2009, 03:20:05 am
This is tricky. I'm making a battle sprite for the character posed at the far right, under 5, which is as the character appears in game.

I am trying to decide if the pose that shows him pointing the gun should be the idle stance or if it should be initially lowered and raised when the user attacks.
Looking for advice/tips on stance/color/animation. Obviously I don't have it in gif form showing the animation but I will post the frames as they are worked out.

For 4 I tried to edit the colors a bit and changed the perspective of his coat.
Here is probably the closest ref I can find for the stance:

The animation will be around 3-5 frames per animation. So this is just a start, the idle stance will be him bouncing his feet a bit. I guess my biggest fear is anatomy. I want to make sure the intial sprite is top notch before I edit it into more frames.

Here are the completed shooting frames:
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 06:50:14 pm by Corinthian Baby »

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Re: PI battle sprites

Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 11:08:23 pm

Made the gif for you. I added a frame between 3 and 4, thought it made for a better transition. It shows really fast on my laptop, might be slower on others'.

The animation looks good to me. The sprites are good, and they're very readable, normally difficult for smaller sprites. However, the coat from the back needs work, it looks garbled.

I think pose 1 would make a good idle stance; it'll be more dynamic when he points the gun at the enemy.  :D

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:39 am
Thanks for putting that together man, I haven't checked the animation myself. Shows very fast for me, wouldn't be in game though. Can you post the frame you inserted? I can't view all the frames, even in photo shop. When you say the back of the coat do you mean on the battle sprite or the in game sprite? I'll post idle stance soon.

Offline ekobor

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 22, 2009, 01:48:17 am
I think the recoil starts a bit too late.
Of the six frames you posted for the firing, I think the gun should start it's recoil at the fourth frame, where he is darkened a bit.
Otherwise the firing animation is really nice.

Offline STE 86

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 01:31:57 pm
yes, i think i would go with the last posters comments. for best effect the muzzle should start its climb on frame 4.

Steve

Offline Twirly

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:44 pm
I agree too, the recoil starts too late and it's a bit too strong imo.
Also that lighting effect looks fucking rad :O