AuthorTopic: [wip] Character design remakes take 2 or 3 or something  (Read 18589 times)

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Re: [wip] Character design remakes take 2 or 3 or something

Reply #40 on: September 16, 2009, 01:56:43 am
It's you're design. Whatever decision you make, make it to back up YOUR intentions for the character.
:y:

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #41 on: September 16, 2009, 02:57:07 am
The jacket might look cool if the sleeves are fur-lined instead of torn. Just an idea :)

Can't wait for next year's redesigns btw :)

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: September 16, 2009, 12:42:47 pm
I love the suspenders, it mixes in some class with the brutishness.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #43 on: September 16, 2009, 12:47:44 pm
okay

Puffy pants work for the 3rd guy but for the 4th(girl?) I think you should go with something that fits her figure first.  Really sell to me that it's a girl.  Also I feel that if 3 and 4 both have puffy pants that they belong to the same tribe in a way and I'm not sure if that's what you want.

You can take or leave this next piece of advice :D

~I just finished reading a book on fashion and one of the key things I learned is that you need to have only a 1-2 showcase pieces for an outfit and the rest is supporting.  Now I'm not saying you aren't following that rule maybe you are, or maybe it's an accident regardless I think this is good advice.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #44 on: September 16, 2009, 07:06:43 pm
> Really sell to me that it's a girl
might be a bit too feminine. i tried to keep the face from looking *cute* but i might have failed there
she's supposed to come off as a tomboy. if i wanted to make her more feminine i could, i just don't think it fits

also
~I just finished reading a book on fashion and one of the key things I learned is that you need to have only a 1-2 showcase pieces for an outfit and the rest is supporting.
i really dont get this
at all

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #45 on: September 16, 2009, 08:12:01 pm
He means that if you have a top hat and a cane, you shouldn't also include the chain around the pants? I think it's BS though. Video game characters are supposed to look way more over the top than Trinny and Susannah acolytes.

I get the tomboy look, so if nothing more, you convinced me :)

I'd still go belly exposed, because I think it makes her a little more sporty, girl-next-door cute or something. Belly hidden, it looks a little more goth than tomboy or something :)

I'd also go for some color on the suspenders or jacket, to make the big guy fit in with the rest a bit more. You've got the purple, the red, the yellow. You need a color focal point on Mr Russian-looking-guy ;)

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2009, 10:41:32 pm
> Really sell to me that it's a girl
might be a bit too feminine. i tried to keep the face from looking *cute* but i might have failed there
she's supposed to come off as a tomboy. if i wanted to make her more feminine i could, i just don't think it fits

also
~I just finished reading a book on fashion and one of the key things I learned is that you need to have only a 1-2 showcase pieces for an outfit and the rest is supporting.
i really dont get this
at all

Enjoy everyone mistaking her for being related/friends/amigos with the 3rd guy.  Why do they both have to have puffy pants?

Also about my fashion comment.  After posting that and thinking about other characters I couldn't think how this rule applied.  So sue me!

Oh yeah forgot to say your second burly guy looks just like a character from Full Metal Alchemist.  The husband of the main characters teacher/sensie/master whatever lol.  I tried to look for a picture but (edit) found it http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww29/mexprettyboy23/FullmetalAlchemist122.jpg name is Sig Curtis.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 10:47:17 pm by Mike »

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #47 on: September 16, 2009, 10:57:48 pm
are you really that butthurt that i didn't listen to your post

because that's kind of sad
and really funny

regardless here's where i'm at now
i'll try to make my next update have a bit more
just decided to show you guys what i decided to go with for both the 2nd and 4th characters

edit: to be honest

the big guy was heavily based on brock during the 2008 redesign

fat with black eyes does not automatically mean ripoff
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 11:00:07 pm by 1up »

Offline miscdude

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: September 16, 2009, 11:43:37 pm
I personally really like the blue on #2. It adds a splash of color in an otherwise graybrown setting, so to speak. Also about him, did you intend to color his shoes? As for #4, great improvement over the previous gender confusion. The tomboy image is captured pretty well. My only question is about the gold thing around her waist. I saw the black part as being a hoodie that got tied around her waist at first, but then when you see the hood around her neck and the golden plate like object, it doesnt really make sense. I might just not understand exactly what that entire thing around her waist is, and if it's something totally different than my interperetation it wouldn't surprise me. The only other little nitpicky issue I see is #2's left arm. You can see that it's there, you can see the arm's angle, but the hand looks a little strange and unoccupied. Maybe if you angled his arm a bit more to his center of vision it might help.

Offline Mike

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 12:49:08 am
are you really that butthurt that i didn't listen to your post

because that's kind of sad
and really funny

regardless here's where i'm at now
i'll try to make my next update have a bit more
just decided to show you guys what i decided to go with for both the 2nd and 4th characters

edit: to be honest

the big guy was heavily based on brock during the 2008 redesign

fat with black eyes does not automatically mean ripoff

Hey whatever makes you feel better about your design lol.  Personally I don't care what you do with them.  It's only taken you what, 3 years to come up with what you have so far?  Good job I say!

Also "butthurt" seriously?  I could've swore I just left 4chan...

One more thing, that guys hat is too big and would not fit on his head the way it is now.  I suggest you at least taper it downward.  Oh and the added ribbon to the hat is beyond superfluous, seems like you added it on a whim and the fold to it doesn't make sense.  ???

One more thing, you denying your character being a rip off was in your own words.  :y:  I in no way implied that you were ripping it off merely stating a resemblance. :P  You were the one who looked into that too much.  Another observation I have about him is his body type is a lot like Hellboy's.  Doesn't mean I think you are ripping him off.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2009, 12:57:45 am by Mike »