AuthorTopic: [wip] Character design remakes take 2 or 3 or something  (Read 18825 times)

Offline Xuferluses

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Character design remakes take 2 or 3 or something

Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 06:08:51 pm
- I agree with ilkke, first guy's legs looked better on '08 version. Purple is nice though, I think.
- I don't know if it's intended but for me the third and fourth guys are using very similar clothing, maybe you should keep it that way (like they're part of the same organization, dunno)
- And you should definitely bring back the leather jacket, in my opinion (or the suspenders maybe). Right now the big guy looks like he's not part of the same "enviroment" (maybe that's not the best definition I could give hehe, forgive me).
- Anyway, these characters are trully amazing! Keep up the good work!

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 07:49:38 pm
One thing I would definitely suggest is reevaluating head scales.  While a certain amount of leeway is granted for these, generally it's thought that within a work for the sake of consistency most of the heads should be fairly close in size.  You've got (so far as I can tell) 3-4 unique head scales which makes things seem a little incongruous.

Body types is another, where the big guy stands out like a sore thumb.  While it's fine enough to have such variations in thickness, there's some stylistic elements that come up strange here.  Pulling things together with shading would help I think.The general scales of things also comes together to make it look like he's a blown-up dwarf and not a big guy.

Lastly is the palette.  While the best change you've made and one I almost pointed out earlier is removing the black from the big guy's arm.  That's not enough unification though by a long shot - he still uses twice as many colors as any of the others in any iteration.  Also, when i'm on a new monitor the red is clearly lighter than the grey (as opposed to others where it is clearly darker), but that's not sometihng to bank on and it still appears odd and disconnected.  It would be better I think to bring in proper lights blended from the color of the trousers than to rely on the idea that full-sat red must be lit.  I know you're not at all done with the pants but I would consider changing even that placeholder swatch (completely) to reflect an actual lightening.  Wearing a grey shirt next to car tail lamps should be a pretty good reference :).

Also sorry if I came on a bit strong, I hadn't realized that this was meant to be a continuation of and not a solution to your old thread :).  Keep it up!
no
these(and your last post really) are the kind of crits more people need to give
it seems like lately people have been getting less confident and for some reason try to tailor their critiques to suit an overly emotional pre tween who'll go suicidal if they don't disguise every problem pointed out, or suggestion given with buttlicking and asskissing

Maybe if some belly skin was exposed...but I didn't want to take too much liberty with the piece. I hope 1up trys throwing in a female character at some point though. I dig his(or is it her) style and I'm curious now about his skill in rendering females...
i actually have made a few(go to my pj account hurp durp)
i dont make enough though and i had been considering just turning him into a female to raise that number a bit

- I agree with ilkke, first guy's legs looked better on '08 version. Purple is nice though, I think.
- I don't know if it's intended but for me the third and fourth guys are using very similar clothing, maybe you should keep it that way (like they're part of the same organization, dunno)
- And you should definitely bring back the leather jacket, in my opinion (or the suspenders maybe). Right now the big guy looks like he's not part of the same "enviroment" (maybe that's not the best definition I could give hehe, forgive me).
- Anyway, these characters are trully amazing! Keep up the good work!
the similar clothing actually wasnt intentional but for the sake of laziness
yes
it was on purpose.

didn't answer a lot of comments in those posts because im in a hurry right now
but i'll try to fix them

Offline Tuna Unleashed

• View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 10:02:56 pm
the fourth guyrl reminds me of that one girl from batman beyond now.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 10:48:48 pm
okay

first guy's head is now the same-ish size as the 3rd and 4th characters

unsure whether to go with jacket or suspenders

4th character is now a girl, might be a bit too feminine. i tried to keep the face from looking *cute* but i might have failed there
idk

still need to fix the palette and color-count issues with the big guy, but i'll get to that later

edit: if i go with the jacket i'll make it shorter
comes down way too far right now

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #34 on: September 16, 2009, 12:28:19 am
I obviously like the suspenders, but the jacket is cool too, so whatever works best for you.

As for the lady (nice change, definately not androgynous now), I like the belly exposed, seems to be interesting.

The head size does pull them more together. Good call from ndchristie

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #35 on: September 16, 2009, 12:48:08 am
girl doesn't look too feminine. Jacket bulks up the second guy and fits his archetype more. Nice stuff :]

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 16, 2009, 01:21:18 am
Jacket bulks up the second guy and fits his archetype more.
I second that vote  :y:. That jacket makes him look like a Victorian style brawler which is very cool in my book  ;D.
As for the female character it is clear that you're going for an athletic build, but you might try hinting at more
curves here and there("I like big butts and I cannot lie, you other brothers can't deny.."). I dig the belly skin too  :D

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #37 on: September 16, 2009, 01:29:58 am
haha

i actually had her curves a bit more noticable before i made the post, decided to tone them down for whatever reason
i'll probably re-add them if it's that big of a deal  :D

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: September 16, 2009, 01:50:44 am
It's you're design. Whatever decision you make, make it to back up YOUR intentions for the character.

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #39 on: September 16, 2009, 01:53:04 am
Looking at these characters I can't help but think that they'd make great and unusual gangster themed fighter sprites. Hell, I already have names for them in my head.
From left to right we have Johnny Longlegs all-round rogue and part-time illusionist (so that he can pull all sorts of goodies out of that big old hat of his), Gustav MonteVerde the Victorian East European Brawler, Zen ninjitsu master from the far east and Shane urban street fighter from Detroit, also a reputed grease-monkey... Okay so maybe I've become a little too invested in these guys..I'll stop now :crazy:...