AuthorTopic: [wip] Character design remakes take 2 or 3 or something  (Read 18590 times)

Offline skittles.loli

• View Profile

Re: [wip] Character design remakes take 2 or 3 or something

Reply #20 on: September 14, 2009, 08:42:08 pm
I think that scarf/thing around the blonde's waist makes him look too girly.
Its hanging off his hips as if he were a girl, it accentuates his curves like a girl, it hangs down to his knees like a skirt (Which isn't really girly, but in this case with the spunky hair and girlish figure it is to me), and if I didn't know any better hes a female who just likes to be one of the boys.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the character (especially since I'm a girl and you didn't make any that were even meant to look like a girl), but until its more obvious of the gender I can only see girl. ^-^

Maybe making him androgynous enough to be seen as either boy or girl, but never have it mentioned would make him more mysterious as a character.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #21 on: September 14, 2009, 10:49:52 pm

I need to fix my image host, weird. In any case, here's the picture. Strangely, I don't get a 404...

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #22 on: September 15, 2009, 02:09:21 am

?

i'll try making him less feminine later
and instead of suspenders, i might just bring the jacket back but have it cut off at the sleeves, idk
suspenders look like they'd fit pretty well

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #23 on: September 15, 2009, 03:17:09 am
Yeah, I like that new pose. Now they seem to be all distinct in personality :)

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 15, 2009, 03:19:28 am
skittles.loli I agree with you, but I think maybe a complete sex change is in order   ;D

How's about this for a gender bender:

I think *she* fits in quite well. Adds a little estrogen to the mix.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 03:24:49 am by xegnma »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:35 am
I don't read the character as being girly at all. Xegnma's edit doesn't really add more femininity to the mix either, it just looks like a different haircut, but still a boy.

Offline xegnma

• Pixel, the whole pixel and nothing but the pixel
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 03:42:26 am
I don't read the character as being girly at all. Xegnma's edit doesn't really add more femininity to the mix either, it just looks like a different haircut, but still a boy.
Maybe if some belly skin was exposed...but I didn't want to take too much liberty with the piece. I hope 1up trys throwing in a female character at some point though. I dig his(or is it her) style and I'm curious now about his skill in rendering females...

Offline HanClinto

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 04:28:50 am

I read the new hips as being more feminine.

Offline ilkke

• pix off
    • iLkKke
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/9270.htm
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 09:43:41 am
I think the first guy's legs were much better last year. The posture is much more convincing with one leg straight.
i

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 01:53:58 pm
One thing I would definitely suggest is reevaluating head scales.  While a certain amount of leeway is granted for these, generally it's thought that within a work for the sake of consistency most of the heads should be fairly close in size.  You've got (so far as I can tell) 3-4 unique head scales which makes things seem a little incongruous.

Body types is another, where the big guy stands out like a sore thumb.  While it's fine enough to have such variations in thickness, there's some stylistic elements that come up strange here.  Pulling things together with shading would help I think.The general scales of things also comes together to make it look like he's a blown-up dwarf and not a big guy.

Lastly is the palette.  While the best change you've made and one I almost pointed out earlier is removing the black from the big guy's arm.  That's not enough unification though by a long shot - he still uses twice as many colors as any of the others in any iteration.  Also, when i'm on a new monitor the red is clearly lighter than the grey (as opposed to others where it is clearly darker), but that's not sometihng to bank on and it still appears odd and disconnected.  It would be better I think to bring in proper lights blended from the color of the trousers than to rely on the idea that full-sat red must be lit.  I know you're not at all done with the pants but I would consider changing even that placeholder swatch (completely) to reflect an actual lightening.  Wearing a grey shirt next to car tail lamps should be a pretty good reference :).

Also sorry if I came on a bit strong, I hadn't realized that this was meant to be a continuation of and not a solution to your old thread :).  Keep it up!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.