AuthorTopic: {WIP} Grim reaper  (Read 7697 times)

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

{WIP} Grim reaper

on: September 05, 2009, 04:32:55 am
Alright So I recently got a silver skull that one of my family members (distant) designed and made himself, And I decided to roll with the skill theme. SO I have made the skull outline, but now I need a hood to cover the head. I think I have a basic outline of the whole hood but I need the inside hole that you look through.
I tried myself and it never really seemed right to me. Can I get some help on this?

I left the teeth out and the bottom jaw on purpose just FYI, and did my best to re-create the spine vertebra.

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Re: {WIP} Grim reaper

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:33:11 pm
I would make the Nose Hole/s a little bit smaller :) To me, they/it seem/s a bit to large.

Greetings,
Ingo

PS: Please have a look a Skull Photos at Google Image Search or an Anatomy Book.

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:56:14 pm
Yea, I understand that the skull isn't exact to the human anatomy, But that's the way I would like it. But I think I will make the nose smaller.

EDIT: Here is a smaller edit as well as what i'm going to call a "peep-hole" in the hood. Any suggestions on how to make the hood look better?

Second edit. I took the hood off, put it around the neck, then colored the bones and the inside of the robe like thing.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2009, 09:59:38 pm by Pixel Muffin »

Offline allaze-eroler

• View Profile
    • allaze-eroler's deviantart

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:45:02 pm
the skrull is interesting and i think you need to make more like this one : http://www.gii.in/wallpapers/data/media/80/Grim-Reaper-Tattoos-2.jpg

ho i forgot : your pic remind me.... darth vader !  ???

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 06:22:51 am
Alright heres an edit of it. Made the hood better. Will get shading sometime soon!

Offline Jad

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 03:15:56 pm
Right now the outlines around the eyes don't have a clear purpose - they're not making the edge between skull and socket smoother, and they're not defining them either.

Either you darken the inside of the eyesockets and remove the banding, or you darken the outlines, is my advice.

Also the eyes and nostrils really do feel very big for the shape of the skull. On the other hand you could try enlerging the head from here, I think that'd look good as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that even if you aim for something not entirely realistic, if someone says it looks off, then it does for that someone. Keep that in mind, you can't always fend those kind of comments off by saying that 'it's a style thing'

Just saying!

Good luck with this though. Your lines are strong, but your rendering is a bit lacking.  ... I'll make you an edit

Err. Everything that looks sloppy is, I'm just trying to show you how you can model and sculpt out the shapes using shading. That's all! Ask me if anything's unclear.

I added teeth and eye glow for shits and giggles, am not very serious there.

Note how I darkened the spinal cord so the contrast between spine and skull is clear.
' _ '

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 08:51:14 pm
:o See I had trouble on the hood where yours looks better. Damn need to work on that.
I get what your saying Ill fiddle with it and mess with the eyes and what not.

I wasn't trying to fend off the comments. I am using a different reference for a skull than just google images. Sorry if it came off that way.  :-[

That is a skull my uncle designed and then molded from.... Sterling Silver? maybe, idk material really does not matter here, But that's what I was referring to, trying to get the skull to match that more than a typical human skull.

Ill study your edit, see if I cant pick some stuff up.

Thanks for the help  ;D

Edit:

So I looked at yours Jad, I didn't copy and paste, but i kinda followed how you did the hood, so it might look similar. But it shouldn't be exact at all... Also edited how I colored the skull, (also similar to Jad's style) Just trying to pick up on some techniques.
Tried AA on the edge of the hood, idk if I like it. Will prolly get rid of it anyways.

Edit: ~Fiddle, Fiddle, Fiddle~ Heres an attempt at shading the hood. Getting closer....

« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 02:46:05 am by Pixel Muffin »

Offline Luminous_Reaver

• Died Trying
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 03:02:24 pm
Tried AA on the edge of the hood, idk if I like it. Will prolly get rid of it anyways.
I don't believe I can give you any practical advice...but that is not AA. :yell:

...Why can't I control myself? Here. I know it's not helpful, but yeah.

...What is it I want to say...? You're thinking with outlines, so you're failing to express volume. Or that's what it seems like to me.
Err, but uh, nice progress so far. I don't mean to say mean things if that's what it sounds like.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 03:06:59 pm by Luminous_Reaver »

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 09:30:06 pm
...What is it I want to say...? You're thinking with outlines, so you're failing to express volume. Or that's what it seems like to me.
Err, but uh, nice progress so far. I don't mean to say mean things if that's what it sounds like.

Can you kinda explain "thinking with outlines" Your free to edit it to correct a mistake.

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 09:55:34 pm
I think he means that you're thinking of it as a 2D shape, not an actual object.  That's just what I thought he meant