AuthorTopic: (WIP) Help with girl sprite  (Read 8773 times)

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: (WIP) Help with girl sprite

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 06:52:24 am
Hello, I hope you don't mind- I made an edit of your sprite to pass on a few tips:

The first thing I saw was a general disjointed look to your figure- that can be more easily seen by her shillouette. I corrected some of those issues, and also exaggerated the femininity of her pose. Thinking of this piece as a collection of color shapes as apposed to outlines and colors lets you more easily develop the forms of a figure.

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 07, 2009, 01:46:51 am
first off ty a s**t load Ryu, ur edit opened my eyes up, honestly, I was sitting here thinking (especially when it came to her legs) "how the hell am I supposed to get the shading right with only 4-5 pixels to deal with" right on dude, now if YOU don't mind, I'm gonna be using your edit for further inspiration and development... the girl has to have fiery hair (for this sprite anyway) so I threw that in, also... I had to put her left foot on the ground (can't have it in the air, it just irritates me for some reason)... how bout now?

although I'm not too hot about how much shadow there is around the inside of her right elbow, but I'll be working on that... but anyway... this was just to focus on her hair using ur edit as inspiration (Ryumaru)

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 07, 2009, 01:53:45 am
also, not to be a nazi, but i think u mean 'opposed'

...apposed to outlines...

sorry, I'm a lil anti-incorrect spelling...

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 07, 2009, 02:27:28 am
I did mean opposed. I'm horrible without an automatic spell checker. I like the palette you gave her- but instead of taking my final image, why don't you take yours- and go through process that I did? Or even just the 4th image of mine with only 3 colors, and with your palette see how you would develop the figure. Im sure our body type preferences are different( I left the huge boobs because im lonely I guess? Or for a more artistic reason I found them not as unatural as balloons pasted onto her chest) and we being two different artists would surely develop the forms in at least slightly different manners.
I'm certainly not opposed to you using it as it was minimal effort on my part but the general consensus is that literally using an edit like mine, instead of using it as a learning tool to change your own- in such a refined stage is sometimes looked down upon in pixel communities such as this.

Offline EvilEye

• Game Developer Extroaordinaire
    • View Profile

Dolly Parton?

Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 05:51:26 am
Ah, the myth of the perky unsupported E-sized breast. Tis only a dream my friends. I've been to the end of that rainbow and there is no pot of gold :(

If there is one thing the internet is not lacking it would be pictures of naked large-sized breasts. So it's not as if you guys don't have plenty of reference :lol:

Here is something a bit more realistic:

« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 06:00:43 am by EvilEye »

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 01:27:12 am
Since I was mistaken earlier, I felt I owe you a bit more. Your hair while fiery as you intend is 100% saturated. Not visually pleasing at all. Here I just adjusted the colors a bit.

gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 05:00:58 pm

This needs a lot of tightening up.
* First of all, she doesn't have enough leg for her torso.
* Arms are very vague and do not suggest the forms you'd expect for forearms
* Shadows in the lower legs seem to suggest she's bending her knees, and along with the short legs this conveys a pretty uncomfortable position.
* Boobs are kinda gigantic, also have no nipples.
* Face is very ambiguous with the pixel clusters there, needs a lot of cleaning up and more symbolic representation I think
* Latest edit reached a color count that this piece so far really doesn't need.

I attempted to address a lot of the issues and I spent a lot of time making a soft palette that suits this, along with contouring the forms with shadow and light... a bit... fetishistically, so excuse that perhaps. Curves of belly, knees wrapping up, venus mound, the forms of the leg muscles, these things can still be conveyed with some grace at this size. Also clavicles, arm shape, generally, more anatomy.

Another big thing, be careful with such huge hilight areas in such a small piece, you're completely drowning your middle luminance, which is what should be used primarily to convey the flesh. At this size and in most moisture/lighting conditions, highlights should be reaching two pixel or one pixel speculars more than anything. Convey forms with softer palette entries that are subtly lighter than main skin tone, not with HUGE WHITE BLOB OF HIGHLIGHT ON LEG AND BOOB, if you catch my meaning.

Hope I helped.

Offline Arachne

• View Profile
    • Retinal Eclipse

Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 10:15:05 pm

I approve of these colors. ;D

I wanted to try a slightly different take on it, since I thought the head of your edit would better match someone more ordinary. Then I tried a different style, and I think it made a lot of difference. I don't think the nearest arm quite fits the pose, though.

Of course, I don't know what sort of character she is or what sort of game it's going to be, but I'm assuming it's not going to be terribly realistic. It would be interesting to know, though. :)