AuthorTopic: (WIP) Help with girl sprite  (Read 8777 times)

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

(WIP) Help with girl sprite

on: September 05, 2009, 01:58:09 am
Ok, I'm quite new to pixel art, not so new to character design or illustration or anything like that, but this pixel art's gettin to me... i've gotten this far with making girl sprite for my buddy's game... could use any kind of tips, advice, whatever, plz post...

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Re: (WIP) Help with girl sprite

Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 12:51:40 pm
Hello,

the Hair looks like Fire, is that supposed to be like that?  ???

Her left leg (the stretched out one) should be a bit shorter, i think, and her left Foot should be not like an L but only with the Toes on the Ground, but with her lower part of that Foot in the Air.

Where is her right Hand? O_o And her Left Breast looks not as it is a mirrored one of the Right One. The Left One seems to be like it is pushed a bit onto the body and her Right One looks like it hoovers a bit in the air. (bad bad english on my side here, but i hope, you get it :) )

Besides from that, she looks really good :)

Greetings,
Ingo

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 07:38:08 pm
thx for the tips, always appreciated, and I definitely agree with all that so I'm gonna start workin on it... and the hair, yeah, it's supposed to look like fire... also, lol, as for the hands, haven't gotten to them yet, hands are the most frustrating for me to be honest

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 07:55:16 pm
any better?

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 08:02:32 pm
No, it looks like she has motion blur. Don't pillow shade, it's most visible on the legs. Define a light source and stick with it. Remember to shade volume not the shape of the line art.
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 08:29:02 pm
any better?

Besides from the Pillow Shading: Yes. It looks now like she is flirting with the Viewer  ;)  ;D .

Greetings,
Ingo

PS: Yes, hands are tough.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 09:34:41 pm
I see no pillow shading. The term you're looking for is "banding" or "stairstep shading".

Instead of shading towards a light source it seems like you're just doing a gradient from left to right.

Read Helm's Knowledge Repository. Especially the part on banding:

http://www.pixel.schlet.net/#C2

Anatomy-wise I see a lack of hands, arms are too short, boobs are far too big (Right now her boobs are about 1/6th of her body height, almost the size of her skull). The right leg (HER left) seems broken.

Color-wise the skin should be fine, but there is a lack of contrast in the hair. Highs are represented, lows are lacking. There's a high saturation of the hair too, which could be fine if she's the godess of fire or similar, but if you're looking for natural redhead, you'll need to tone it down a lot.

There's a lot of potential in the pose and the anatomy is more or less right (cartoony 6 heads high though), so I say, keep working. Try to get rid of the banding first, then fix the shading towards a light source.

Good luck! :)

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 11:17:16 pm
any better?

Besides from the Pillow Shading: Yes. It looks now like she is flirting with the Viewer  ;)  ;D .

Greetings,
Ingo

PS: Yes, hands are tough.

ty for that, that's the look i was going for too =) now on to the shading, and other parts... just wanted to get her shape right first

Offline turbowrites4gve

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 05, 2009, 11:28:34 pm
ok, been workin on the shading... here's what i got so far, hope i'm heading in the right direction...

Offline Seele07

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:33:36 am
Hey turbowrites4gve :) ,

Now it reads, like the light source is in the upper right corner :) .

Uhm, this may sound like cutting a hair into pieces, but: why are there two lighter pixels above her belly button? (on top of the darker ones)
( I'm a shading-newbie, so don't take my input too serious, okay? ;) )

Greetings,
Ingo