AuthorTopic: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)  (Read 104939 times)

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Re: WayForward Contest #3: Background artist (tiling)

Reply #110 on: March 17, 2006, 11:31:36 am

added color ramps
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:31:31 pm by Locrian »

Offline pixelaro

• View Profile

Reply #111 on: March 17, 2006, 03:44:38 pm
First version. Png..

**EDIT**
Final submission with the paletterows.. (A pain in the ass I might mention.. :P)
But the extra time was great.. really didn't like the tiling in the first one at all.. Good luck to all entrants. Great job. :)

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 07:30:00 pm by pixelaro »
:::....

Offline hondo

• Wish you where here.
    • View Profile

Reply #112 on: March 17, 2006, 04:05:43 pm
Okay, I'm sorry if I'm mean but I do feel this contest has had the fun sucked out of it.  Baccaman21, I'm sure your intentions are good and all your tips are valid but I believe there's no need to be this anal.  It's not your contest.  I can't speak for Adam but if he saw issues with what people where posting then he'd probably would have brought them up.  It's a contest, it's supposed to be fun and not everyone here works in the game industry.

Now in case people are wondering what it is this is all about I've set up a run down as to how create this proper GBA pallet set up.

This is my submission with proper pallet set up and this is what it's pallet looks like.

This image now uses a pallet table of 5 rows.  Each row has been set up to represent each tile/pallet group that I've made in my original submission.

How I got to that point is like this (there might be an easier way but this is how I did it).  I converted my tile/pallet groups in to 5 monochrome groups.  Then I rebuilt the street image with these new funky coloured tiles.

I then created a new image file and made a forced pallet to fit what I would need.  Creating a force pallet is easy if you know how.  For those that don't know (and not everyone does) here's how I did it.  In Photoshop (that's what I used anyway) you go to Image>Mode>Indexed Colourr.  In the window that pops up you go to the Forced drop down and select Custom.  This will open your Colour Table. 

At this point I went and systematically picked each colour from the funky coloured squares under the word pallet 1, 2, 3, etc... from my funky coloured street image until I filled a whole row (with my transparent colour in front).  I did this for each row.

Then I dragged the funky street in to this new image with the forced funky pallet and went back in to the colour table and changed each colour back to it's proper hue.  The result is that my tiles are now grouped in to pallet rows of colour.  And like what Baccaman21 said there is not difference visually to the image unless you look at it's colour table.

Total time to convert to this "proper GBA" pallet system... 35 min.

Now again I can't speak for Adam seeing as it's his contest and not mine, but I'm pretty sure that he'd didn't intend anyone to go this far with their submission.  I know I wouldn't have.  I didn't have plans to do all this but I didn't want people to feel like they where being left out and such because they might not now how to do everything that Baccaman21 was talking about.  So I helped, at least I hope I helped.  I"m sorry if I've only made things more confusing.

Adam, I also apologize to you if I've stepped on your toes and/or brought the contest down.  That wasn't my intention to do so.  If it gets me booted from the contest then I accept that.

Thank you.

Offline Locrian

• View Profile
    • BURHTUN: online portfolio

Reply #113 on: March 17, 2006, 04:25:45 pm
slightly different version.  not sure if its better or worse.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 06:31:57 pm by Locrian »

Offline balam

• View Profile
    • www.roadgoons.com

Reply #114 on: March 17, 2006, 05:22:53 pm
I have two entries. On the first entry, I was trying to get creative with the tile set, attempting to get as close as possible to the photograph. The second entry(although unfinished) was more of a fun assignment based on the photograph. I would appreciate some c+c, regardless of the contest deadline. Thanks.

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #115 on: March 17, 2006, 05:39:48 pm

I don't like this van very much, honestly, so I might just stick with the other one. *sigh* if only I was better....

baccaman: I'm somewhat sure Panda is a signed pro (I think he's involved with game dev with some GBA game). Your comments are helpful, but I wish you made something yourself (as I'm sure it'd be impressive :D). Pixelopolis is a semi-professional place, haha. (semi, being that, as others mentioned, we do try to make this a fun environment.)

Locrian: I love your simple colors, and those bricks. I'm leaning towards your second submission (for this contest, at least. I really like the first one as much).

hondo: Fun funky colors  :D. Nice of you to post your process.

Panda: Those are some sexy cracks! And that puddle, WOW. I do wish you could have finished that, as I'm sure its potential is... *whistles*.

Akira: For some reason, I like your nighttime 6 color edit of it better. Call it a frugal color sense.  :P

balam: Well, it's accurate.... But I don't think it gives off the same color vibe as the photo. Maybe a quick color edit, and it'd be superb (for the contest. I actually have no/nit-picky problems with your current palette).

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #116 on: March 17, 2006, 07:21:54 pm
great entries, guys..

I did a bit of last minute optimizing and looked over my tiles to see if anything was wrong, heres an update with the palette as well:

Offline Crazy Asian Gamer

• Guess who follows trends?
    • View Profile
    • CAG's NONEXISTANT Page... of DOOM

Reply #117 on: March 17, 2006, 09:46:56 pm
This is my entry with a pretty drastic palette change.

Offline Perciv@l

• View Profile
    • www.prr-art.com

Reply #118 on: March 18, 2006, 12:59:05 am
Here is my entry.

original

less contrast

I rush to finish this before the deadline. I'm not totally ok with the result. If I had more time I would fix some things and change the palette a bit.  :-\

39 tiles and 32 colors

Offline AdamTierney

• View Profile
    • Adam's Page

Reply #119 on: March 18, 2006, 02:44:31 pm
CUTOFF! :) Wow, I am just astounded by the number of entires and the absolute quality of them all. This is gonna be a tough contest. Thank God we split the prize. Next time we're gonna have to have like 10 places  :P We won't be looking over them until Monday, so everyone rest easy and we'll post results either Monday or Tuesday.

"Okay, I'm sorry if I'm mean but I do feel this contest has had the fun sucked out of it.  Baccaman21, I'm sure your intentions are good and all your tips are valid but I believe there's no need to be this anal.  It's not your contest.  I can't speak for Adam but if he saw issues with what people where posting then he'd probably would have brought them up.  It's a contest, it's supposed to be fun and not everyone here works in the game industry."

I see it from both sides. It's in the rules, so the entrants are held to those limitations. Do the images need to properly paletted here? Of course not, otherwise I would have asked for bmp and pcx files only. Ultimately a BG artist does have to be this anal about stuff (more than any other type of pixel artist, in my opinion) but this is a contest, not a job. So fun is definitely something to be had. I'm not really taking a side. Just kind of saying I see things from both your sides. :)

- Adam