AuthorTopic: Help with walk/idle animation for game sprite.  (Read 3915 times)

Offline PixelegaS

• View Profile

Help with walk/idle animation for game sprite.

on: September 04, 2009, 11:28:02 pm
I'm rather new to making animations, so I was wondering if I could receive some help from you pro's here. This is just a pixeled doll base for my games character (clothes will be layered), but I'm not sure how to do the walking cycle with the legs and its rather irritating.. Any help on the walk animation would be greatly appreciated and also if you have any pointers for fixing up the idle stance, that would also be appreciated. Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline Hibernated

• View Profile

Re: Help with walk/idle animation for game sprite.

Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 11:42:51 pm
Arms look good to me, but the back leg looks sorta like the knees just wobbling about.  :-\ I haven't had a look at the frames individually (mainly because I don't have anything to edit animated gifs with) but the foot looks sorta like its glued to the floor. It should push the floor back, then lift off the floor to swing forward again. Another issue might be that the hips dont move when the characters walking. Hope this helps  :)

Offline Phones

• Darn Right
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 01:19:13 am
The idle animation is REALLY unnatural looking. It looks as if he's putting a bunch of effort into just standing still. Not to great. Giving him a bit of a bounce would help a lot. Someone on this site made what I thought was a pretty energetic idle animation recently. In fact, here it is.
http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/45932.htm
The movement flows very naturally there, and is quite pleasing to look at I must say.

Offline snowsoft

• View Profile
    • Snowsoft blog

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 02:20:49 am
Personally, I rather like the idle. What looks really strange is the walk cycle. It looks as though for every cycle of his hands going back and forth he is actually taking 4 steps.

Each arm swing should counter a leg swing, but you have too much leg movement.
“Everyone sees what you appear to be, few experience what you really are.”
http://snowsoft.wordpress.com/