AuthorTopic: Hut and Walking Figure C+C  (Read 4439 times)

Offline Wollw

• View Profile

Hut and Walking Figure C+C

on: September 02, 2009, 07:34:14 am
I'm pretty new to pixel (and computer) art in general and have been working on a couple of things over the past few days.  Feel free to tear them apart.

Offline Jellybit

• Don't touch the jelly.
    • View Profile
    • Jellybit

Re: Hut and Walking Figure C+C

Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 01:54:38 pm
You're off to a good start.  I'm more familiar with animation, so I'll leave the rendering critiques to the other guys.  If this is your first animation, I'm impressed.  I have a few suggestions, however.  In the arm movement, take a close look at the hands in particular.  See how his hand jerks around when it gets to his hip?  It looks like he's shaking some dice or a can of soda.  The motion should make a smoother curve (possibly in an elongated and bent figure 8 motion).  Also, it jumps too quickly to and from the upward position.  Unless it's supposed to be thrown up and down with extreme force, it should ease in and out of movement.  Animate different arm movements for the up and down motion.  Don't use the same one both ways.

As far as the legs go, you've communicated the point of contact, which is good, but it looks like his hips/shoulders don't swivel at all.  They should swivel slightly in opposite directions as he walks.  Maybe a lot if you want to exaggerate.  But not swiveling at all makes the walk look robotic.  I also suggest a bit of clothing movement.  Perhaps a slight hat tilt on the way down, or slight movement in the piece of cloth sticking out from his chest (scarf?  unless you didn't mean to do that).  Hope this was at all helpful!

Offline Morden

• View Profile
    • Morden の不気味な日記

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 10:08:25 pm
The animation is good, but the walk itself looks like it's a part of a dance choreography. Unless this is done entirely on purpose, then you could animate the hat bouncing up and down to add to the effect. Right now it kind of looks like this - > click.

Offline Wollw

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 01:12:52 am
Thank you for the feedback.  I noticed some some lighting problems with the second image that I'm working on but took some time out to change the animation around...

Not my very first but it's one of my first few (probably like the 3rd).

Edit:

I'm not sure about the hat moving at the pace he is walking now so here he is without the crazy hat.

Edit2:

Tried to get rid of the pillow shading

Edit3:

And managed to get the hands to look better.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 02:09:14 am by Wollw »

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:53:39 am
You're getting the hang of this quickly! The hands look like they're attached to his pants. Are they supposed to be in his pockets?

Somebody just linked me to this helpful page on walk cycles yesterday. It should help you, too.

Offline Jellybit

• Don't touch the jelly.
    • View Profile
    • Jellybit

Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 01:16:43 pm
Nice edits.  It was good of you to make the hat stationary again after editing the walk cycle further.  The first one was very exaggerated, and a tilted hat would fit it better than your newer, more realistic walk.  I know I said I wouldn't touch on rendering issues, but it's difficult for me, especially in your newer animation, to read which is his farther leg and which is the closer one.  This issue will probably require that you darken/mute the farther leg a bit to allow the viewer to more easily separate the two.  In fact, it might be the reason Bissle thought the hand was attached to his pocket.  One could easily read the back leg as the front and see it that way.  Or he sees it just fine and I could be wrong.  :)

Offline Wollw

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 08:29:58 am
Here's another edit:

I decided to make him look a lot less cartoony which I think was a good move.  He's wearing a prison uniform.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:31:39 am by Wollw »

Offline Savaril

• asdf
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 09:22:35 pm
The shading on that needs a lot of work, but as for the animation, the hand seems to have some clunky movement, as if it just stops in mid air for two frames

Offline Jellybit

• Don't touch the jelly.
    • View Profile
    • Jellybit

Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 11:12:14 pm
I'd say it may be even harder with this new outfit/color to see which leg is closer and which is farther.  Also, his knee seems to drop down on his leg when it's on the ground as opposed to when it's up in front of him.  And I don't know if you mean to do this (you may), but his far arm appears to be moving a good deal more than his close arm, which makes his close arm look stiff in comparison.  But I have to say that while your shading does need a lot of work, it's definitely improving.  Good job on your progress.