AuthorTopic: Tree C+C  (Read 2915 times)

Offline Phones

• Darn Right
    • View Profile

Tree C+C

on: August 14, 2009, 08:09:30 pm
I've recently begun practicing spriting trees, a subject that I have always struggled with, even outside of pixel work. But just for once, I actually made a tree I'm somewhat happy with. Not to say it couldn't be better. Not at all! If anyone has Critique for me, be it for the even the grass/clouds, please don't hesitate to go all out.

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Re: Tree C+C

Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:35 pm
Cool looking tree!  :crazy:
but the trunk seems rather small conpared to the huge top leafy part.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 01:16:00 am
Trees... ack, who hasn't struggled with these? The palette is good!The pattern of the leaves is asymmetrical (good) but a little strange in places, particularly the lower right side. The shading over all makes them look like a blanket draped over the tree, rather than leaves growing out of it. Try more natural shapes.

Grass looks good. Clouds could use some work, but I'm not unable to say what about them seems 'off'.

I hope you continue working on this; I still haven't made a tree I'm happy with.   :yell:

Offline Dr D

• Not a real doctor.
    • View Profile
    • PJ Gallery

Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:44:26 pm
About the clouds, it's probably due to the fact they all appear to be so close to the ground, and there are none high in the sky. Kinda backwards, it seems.

They also have that same blanket-draped rendering, in fact, they look kind of pillow-shaded. I can't see the clouds in their entirety too well, though.

Offline Phones

• Darn Right
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 01:12:04 am
Ugh. I got around to remaking a tree in the same general style, with the critique after a while. I pixeled a little guy in the a style the tree should match, but the tree doesn't fit the bill very well.  :-\

Not to sure how to fix it either.