AuthorTopic: [WIP] Miniture Game  (Read 3779 times)

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

[WIP] Miniture Game

on: September 01, 2009, 02:28:25 am
I'm new here at Pixelation, but not new to pixel work. So Here is a picture of just some stuff for pure fun that I'm doing.
Its like a mini game kinda like Zelda, but not exactly.

I could use some help on the Top-Down perspective especially with the bushes....

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Re: [WIP] Miniture Game

Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 05:30:34 am
Hello, and welcome.

Lot's of pillow shading. Define a light source.

Background bleeds into the characters because of its high saturation. Try dulling the grass.

Bushes look more side-on than a 3/4 top-down. Shouldn't be able to see so much of the stem/branches from the angle we're at.

As for help with top-down perspective, try looking up screens of SNES RPGs and the like, and study how they do different subjects. :)

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:15:11 pm
Hello, and welcome.

Lot's of pillow shading. Define a light source.

What do you mean by pillow shading? I have sort of established that, The armor on the knight has some reflections. The light source should be coming from the top left.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 11:42:04 pm
The light source should be coming from the top left.
Not seeing this at all.

Pillow shading is surrounding an object with shading instead of basing your shading on your light source.  Think asymmetrical if your light source is from top left.

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 11:59:57 pm
First of all, I don't know why you're cramming them all in a 64x64 space, it doesn't help you work.  Unless you made them separately somewhere else.

Your light source is not clear.  You are definitely pillowshading and zooming in I see waaaay too many colors.  Grass doesn't look like grass for some reason, though grass isn't easy to draw well.  Your bushes look like felled trees that are far too small.  As said, lose the stems and don't ignore some advice and fight with other bits.  Black outlines aren't helping..  you probably ought to antialais them.

I don't know what's going on with that dude's hat!  Guy on the middle left.  A baker or something?  Make the bend on the hat happen sooner and show less of it.

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 12:27:27 am
I worked with the plants a bit and made 3 new ones. The bottom left is based on the Zelda: Link to the past bush, but its not the bush exactly, and the other two are just things I made up to play around with the perspective. I also threw a rock in there to play a bit more with the perspective on different objects.
I focused more on asymmetrical coloring on this one for the bushes and rocks, and clothes of the characters.

Now the second time around I took out all the black (accept for the eyes) and this is what I got.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 12:52:11 am
Maybe Asymmetrical was a misleading word.  I didn't mean "cut your character into half and make one darker."  I meant actually using your light source.  If your light source is top left, then it'll be hitting your characters at an angle.  Think about your sprite as a 3D object, and think of how light will affect the volume of a shape and the other shapes it's attached to.

Offline Pixel Muffin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 02, 2009, 01:20:16 am
That was probably my mistake, starting new and trying to learn as much as I can, I took you too literally I guess. So I added back colors to the things I made asymmetrical. Not sure it made a huge impact on the clothes, more so on the environmental objects. Fiddled with the grass some too. See if that looks more like grass to you.