AuthorTopic: {WIP} Link walk  (Read 3255 times)

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

{WIP} Link walk

on: August 30, 2009, 02:15:49 pm
Started a walking animation for a friends game and frankly, somthing about it seems off, so any C+C would be great.

The sprite is in a directly overhead veiw for those who can't tell.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:49:30 pm by IvanX »

Offline HMC

• View Profile

Re: {WIP} Link walk

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 08:34:48 pm
I think there's a reason you almost never see games with a direct overhead view. Not only does it make it a lot harder to convey depth, all of your characters are going to be completely unrecognizable. Like, I would have no idea what this is supposed to be if you didn't say. Not to mention, the animation jitters very oddly, which makes it hard to convince us he's supposed to be walking. It's not like the 2-D Zelda game overhead format is broke, so why fix it?

Offline Scribblette

• View Profile
    • Livejournal

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 12:58:21 pm
I suppose the perspective could be relevant and appropriate if the game features a giant ant who waddles about mushing humans under foot, or some such.

But otherwise I agree. As a human, I think foremost of this as a grown up version of Stewie (the baby from Family Guy). The back seems strange... I'd think he was meant to be wearing a hoodie if the shading was a little different. Either his arms or his legs aren't moving, too.
Now reading: Animator's Survival Kit, Drawing On The Right Side Of The Brain, Fun With A Pencil. No time to pixel!
Pixelated Anatomy|Foliage

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:38:35 pm
Actually, it immediately looks like Link from Zelda to me. Maybe that's just me.

What I'm wondering is why someone's ears would move apart and back together while walking? It doesn't seem to make sense.

Offline IvanX

• Blink Blink
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 01:59:51 am
The only reason I used a direct overhead veiw was because it was a personaly request of the game devloper. Ease of use, link could turn without any odditys in his animation.(walking forward animation while walking diagonally.)

As for the ear movement, I was experimenting with the animation to give the apperance of link taking steps with impact rather than walking on air or somthing, clearly I didn't notice his ear moving. I'll fix it on the next update.