AuthorTopic: First pixel  (Read 3529 times)

Offline talin

• View Profile

First pixel

on: August 29, 2009, 03:56:17 pm
Hello everyone!

I have been reading this forum for a while, and I am amazed at all the great things
people have done here. I'm mainly a programmer, but I thought I would give this a try.

Here's how far I've come. My problem is that I don't know where to go from here,
even though I realize that it looks absolutely horrible. Tips are very welcome!

« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 05:35:06 pm by talin »

Offline adcrusher524

• View Profile

Re: First pixel

Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 05:32:01 pm
I did a quick edit :    

First of all, why do you have such a huge amount of space for a sprite that small? Anyways,  I think the swords could be thicker, right now they are pretty thin. Also the hilts(i think that's what they're called) on the sword needs to be longer. They are also too thin. Maybe you should brighten the colors, right now everything is kind of dark. I noticed he doesn't have any eyebrows, but that should be easy to fix. Instead of fully desaturated black on his hair and skirt thing, add a tint of red to them to make them more interesting.

Good luck!!!

Offline EyeCraft

• What are you scared of?
    • View Profile
    • Death By Dev

Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:44:12 pm
Hi talin, welcome to the forum.

I think the first thing you should look at is contrast. Contrast controls priority for the eye, that is, what order the eye takes things in and to what degree something is focused on. High contrast makes something loud and unavoidable for the eye (high priority), while low contrast dulls it and makes the eye skim it (low priority).

Taking a look at your piece, the contrast between the white outline and black background is extreme, and thus traps the attention of the eye, while the actual form of the character is low contrast and thus is ignored. This has the effect of destroying detail and form, flattening the object so it resembles a cardboard cutout. Try removing the white outline and increasing the contrast within the character itself. Quick example:

From there you can add more contrast by adding more tones/colours. This will give you more range to define the form, too:

And yeah, crop your canvas.  :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:20:58 am by EyeCraft »

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 06:48:28 pm
Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I need... and yikes, I can't believe that your pictures are the same resolution.

I will take your advice and practice a bit. Now I can't blame the low resolution any longer!

Offline talin

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 07:46:35 am
I decided to make another one, using some of the advice from here.

I think it's much better than the first one! Thank you for that...
I am slowly beginning to see how much impact highlights have.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 10:00:05 am
Good stance and proportions. The shading of the clothes seems arbitrary, and the pallete could use more contrast.