AuthorTopic: crit help deciding which character is better...  (Read 6494 times)

Offline Mistajaye

• Jason Andrew Buividas
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • https://t.me/pump_upp
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • Mistajaye
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !

Re: crit help deciding which character is better...

Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:23:08 am
lol, sorry but the character is a charactiature... the anatomy is suppose to be distorted, I wasn't having a problem with the shape of the character because I know very well what style I am looking for. I was just asking for shading and color choices, so if you got confused I apologize. Also I wanted to know different methods of coloring, dithering, and etc. Again I'm sorry I should have been more clear on what kind of advice I wanted, it's my fault. But thanks for the comments none-the-less.

Realism is never what I strive for when creating characters. I mean look at DBZ with the weird eyes, or even the old peanuts comics. Theres a certain style to every cartoon and or game, and I for one like inventing new looks or distinctive stylized anatomy to customize stigma ^_~. lol isn't that what makes art so interesting? or do you want everything real and exact? either way I apologize for my vagueness in my approach for asking advice and crits.

Offline 1up

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbb
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 02:07:45 am
lol, sorry but the character is a charactiature... the anatomy is suppose to be distorted, I wasn't having a problem with the shape of the character because I know very well what style I am looking for. I was just asking for shading and color choices, so if you got confused I apologize. Also I wanted to know different methods of coloring, dithering, and etc. Again I'm sorry I should have been more clear on what kind of advice I wanted, it's my fault. But thanks for the comments none-the-less.

Realism is never what I strive for when creating characters. I mean look at DBZ with the weird eyes, or even the old peanuts comics. Theres a certain style to every cartoon and or game, and I for one like inventing new looks or distinctive stylized anatomy to customize stigma ^_~. lol isn't that what makes art so interesting? or do you want everything real and exact? either way I apologize for my vagueness in my approach for asking advice and crits.

Better worded than most attempts at this excuse, but you're still backpedaling out of improving this

It doesn't matter if you're aiming for cartoony or not, a better knowledge or proper anatomy and applying certain aspects of proper anatomy to this will iimprove the end product.

Offline Squiggly_P

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 02:30:29 am
If they're going to all be used in the same game, then the shading and colors should be consistent from one to the next.  The far right badguy has a lighter outline than the other characters.  His background hand is also flat shaded while the other bad-guy has lighter shades on that hand.  The guy on the left is standing in a similar pose as the other two, but I can't see his far arm the way I can see them on the bad guys.  I'm gonna guess that the guy on the far right isn't quite finished yet, since he's missing some shading that the other one has as well.

As far as style goes, the human character and the two enemies seem to be done in different styles, almost as thought they were drawn by two different people.  The enemies have really exaggerated proportions and those legs that taper to points.  The human is less exaggerated and overall is less stylized than the enemies.  It might just be personal preference on my part, but the difference in styles is pretty jarring to me.  The proportions look off to me as well - for the record - but the colors look alright.  The shading could use some love, tho.  It looks like the light is coming from just to the left of the 'camera', but there's some conflict in the way the character's shaded.  The arms seem to indicate light from slightly above, but the highlights suggest it's slightly below.  Both the heaviest shaded parts AND the highlighted parts are towards the back of the arm which suggests light coming from both the left and the right of the camera.  The other areas seem to be pretty much in agreement that the light is slightly above and to the left of the camera.

The bird, however, is lit from the right, and the highlights on the character's hair also indicates a light source to the right.  If the bird is going to be on the character like that often, I'd recommend they both get the same light source so they don't clash with each other.

The 'old' character you have in that image looks a LOT better.  It has better proportion/anatomy and perspective and is more interesting to look at...  I don't think either of them really 'fits' the goblins, tho.

Offline Bissle

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 10:21:15 am

OK, first, those goblins are pretty cool.  :D

Have to agree with Squiggly: the player sprite and the goblins don't really match much, style-wise.

The original player sprite had more pleasing proportions and seems like it would look slightly less out of place with the goblins. The anatomy (a stylistic choice or not) on this one is well, awkward, mostly the arm; it either needs to be thinned out or the muscles need to be defined and sectioned off in a more anatomically correct way if you want him to have muscular arms. Right now it looks like a grilled hot dog.

The colors on the sprite are great, but the shading on the arm doesn't match the rest of his body.

I'm digging the concept art for the baddies--just wondering, do you have any with the human as well?