AuthorTopic: Using textures from a 2D pixelart?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline lonstile

• View Profile

Using textures from a 2D pixelart?

on: August 27, 2009, 03:18:07 am
Hi! I'm new here, it's possible to use a texture from a 2D pixelart like a sprite from a character, objects etc...? How I can do this? And it's possible to use Sketchup to make low spect 3d's? Thanks!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Using textures from a 2D pixelart?

Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 05:46:43 am
an image is an image, sprite or otherwise.  you can use any file as a texture so long as it's properly unwrapped and fits the technical specs of your engine.  As far as how to do this, there are infinite ways depending on program and destination/use.

sketchup can make all kinds of models but the question is what are you using them for?

These are very strange questions...not even basic so much as not the kinda of questions a person asks if they're at all ready to model, like asking whether you can put paint on a boom...of course you can, but that's somewhere between obvious and not worth asking.  Suggest google, tutorials, and a proper modelling forum if you're really looking to learn anything.  Begin with the basics!
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Rox

• View Profile

Re: Using textures from a 2D pixelart?

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 11:21:53 am
You can use any image as a texture, like ndchristie said. So yes, technically, you can apply a sprite as a texture on a model.

However, the most important information in a sprite tends to be the shape and colors, not so much the "texture" in itself. Good pixel art usually goes to extreme lengths to imply the shape of the object via light and color information. Those are things that, in 3D, become pretty much obsolete, and can make a model look worse, in fact, if applied inappropriately. If you want to use pixel art as texture on a model, it needs to be made with that in mind, like some others here in the Low Spec section. I'd be pretty much impossible to grab a sprite and slap it on a model and have it look good.