AuthorTopic: [wip] Little space man mockup  (Read 5169 times)

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

[wip] Little space man mockup

on: August 24, 2009, 03:17:42 am

These are older tests:

Looking for advice. Any and all kinds. Experimenting with rocks and palette. WIP but I wanted to bring it in early so I won't have to redo it too many times. Also, the sky is just filler, didn't want to do a gradient.

Character is a floating head in water/jelly stuff. Spaceman's gun builds up and energy burst that is lethal at close range and shoots long range energy balls that don't dissipate till contact or 1 light year, whichever comes first.  ;D Also, I plan on having deformable terrain so I'm not sure as to the nicest way to build the tiles/levels. Ideas?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 06:39:30 pm by thedaemon »
gemini://thedaemons.space
https://thedaemons.space

Offline Zack

• View Profile

Re: Little space man.

Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:19:00 am
I love the little guy there, hes pretty dang cute.
Anyways, I honestly pefer the old test tiles as appose to the new ones. Just add more to it.
Good work though.

Offline Justinth

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 02:44:47 pm
I feel the character is pretty well done. "Cute" haha.
The background just doesn't have that feel. I think even a black background with small stars would be a better choice.
If you were to keep the background the same way, I feel it needs a bit of work at the top,, and maybe a darker shade of grey which slowly gets lighter?
The platforms seem like their just pasted onto their, maybe help attach the one to the ground like its in the ground, and for the ones in the air, they feel like they were perfectly sliced and propped into the air..

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:28:40 pm
The sky in the first picture, remember: MS spray can tool = bad. Place the pixels by hand! Don't be lazy!

The colors....not feeling them. Nothing really 'pops'. The saturation and hues make the colors look...not so good.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 05:32:40 pm by Draco9898 »

Offline Hibernated

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:03:34 am
The alien is brilliant! Do you think you could make his head slosh about in his helmet? Might not work at such a small scale...

For deformable terrain maybe have your edge tiles with smooth curvy edges to help hide the tiles and at the same time be able to do blast radius quite well? Sounds strange but maybe look at how some old RTS games did the black masks for their fog of war, they would have been trying to hide the tile shape too.

Offline Justinth

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:04:55 am
EDIT:
NVM :)

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:12:18 am
The alien is brilliant! Do you think you could make his head slosh about in his helmet? Might not work at such a small scale...

I was thinking about it but I did a little experiment of his head sloshing around in a walk cycle and it doesn't look quite right. Maybe I could do it for the idle sprite? A larger scale would make it more visible.

Draco9898, there are reasons for spraypaint tools that's why they are there. I'm not using mspaint, using deluxe paint, and I also believe I stated that it was filler. I'm going to go back to the starry sky look.  ::)

Going to mess about with the older style I had going on (the red and orange with stars in sky) and see what I can come up with. Thanks for all the advice. It helps.

Offline Dyble

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 12:26:45 am
I love that lil guy  :hehe: he is my hero!.
Maybe make when he is in idle that he brings his pistol thing down do his side its gotta be heavy for him to carry(well I guess he is in space)

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 03:05:15 pm

Hows this?

Offline thedaemon

• thedaemon
    • View Profile
    • personal website

Re: [wip] Little space man mockup

Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 08:00:17 pm

Ok, these are tileable now. Any advice? All c&c welcome.